1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foundations of Mechanics, Abraham and Marsden

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    Is Abraham and Marsden's Foundations of Mechanics a good book to learn Classical Mechanics? In other words, if I were to go through this book (which I believe is more mathematical than physics-related) would I have a good, intuitive grasp of Classical Mechanics?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How much background in physics and mathematics do you have already?

According to the preview feature on amazon.com, the "Preliminaries" section includes topology, finite-dimensional Banach spaces, local differential calculus, manifolds and mappings, vector bundles, ...

That looks like a major stretch (to put it mildly) for the vast majority of high-school students in the USA, and even for the vast majority of undergraduate university students.

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3
    I agree completely.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4
    I actually have the necessary mathematical requirements, although just skimming through the book, it seems they give a more general definition for manifolds than I am used to, requiring them to be locally homeomorphic to a Banach space rather than Euclidean space. Other than that the math doesn't seem like it would bother me. I am more interested in whether the topics in this book contains enough physics-related material; although symplectic geometry is motivated by classical mechanics, I want a more physical approach than mathematical, something that will give me a solid intuition on the subject of Classical Mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook