Foundations of Mechanics, Abraham and Marsden

In summary, the conversation discusses whether Abraham and Marsden's book "Foundations of Mechanics" is a good resource for learning Classical Mechanics. The preview on Amazon suggests that it includes advanced mathematical concepts such as topology and vector bundles, which may be challenging for high school and undergraduate students. The discussion also touches on the level of physics and mathematics background needed to understand the book, with one participant expressing interest in a more intuitive and physically-focused approach to Classical Mechanics.
ForMyThunder
Is Abraham and Marsden's Foundations of Mechanics a good book to learn Classical Mechanics? In other words, if I were to go through this book (which I believe is more mathematical than physics-related) would I have a good, intuitive grasp of Classical Mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much background in physics and mathematics do you have already?

According to the preview feature on amazon.com, the "Preliminaries" section includes topology, finite-dimensional Banach spaces, local differential calculus, manifolds and mappings, vector bundles, ...

That looks like a major stretch (to put it mildly) for the vast majority of high-school students in the USA, and even for the vast majority of undergraduate university students.

jtbell said:
That looks like a major stretch (to put it mildly) for the vast majority of high-school students in the USA, and even for the vast majority of undergraduate university students.

I agree completely.

I actually have the necessary mathematical requirements, although just skimming through the book, it seems they give a more general definition for manifolds than I am used to, requiring them to be locally homeomorphic to a Banach space rather than Euclidean space. Other than that the math doesn't seem like it would bother me. I am more interested in whether the topics in this book contains enough physics-related material; although symplectic geometry is motivated by classical mechanics, I want a more physical approach than mathematical, something that will give me a solid intuition on the subject of Classical Mechanics.

I can say that Abraham and Marsden's Foundations of Mechanics is a highly regarded and comprehensive textbook on Classical Mechanics. It is considered to be a fundamental reference for graduate students and researchers in the field. However, it is important to note that this book is more mathematical in nature, as it focuses on the mathematical foundations of Classical Mechanics. Therefore, it may not be the best resource for someone looking for an intuitive understanding of the subject.

If your goal is to gain a strong mathematical understanding of Classical Mechanics, then this book would be a valuable resource. It covers a wide range of topics, from basic principles to advanced concepts, and provides a rigorous mathematical treatment of each topic. However, if you are primarily interested in developing an intuitive grasp of the subject, you may want to supplement your studies with other resources that focus more on conceptual explanations and examples.

In summary, Abraham and Marsden's Foundations of Mechanics is a highly recommended textbook for those looking to deepen their understanding of Classical Mechanics from a mathematical perspective. However, it may not be the best choice for those seeking a more intuitive understanding of the subject.

1. What is the main focus of "Foundations of Mechanics" by Abraham and Marsden?

The main focus of "Foundations of Mechanics" is to provide a rigorous and comprehensive treatment of classical mechanics, emphasizing the geometric and variational aspects of the subject. It covers topics such as Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism, and symplectic geometry.

2. What level of mathematics background is required to understand this book?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to fully comprehend the material in "Foundations of Mechanics." Some knowledge of advanced topics such as differential geometry and functional analysis may also be helpful.

3. Are there any applications of the theories presented in this book?

Yes, the theories presented in "Foundations of Mechanics" have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. For example, Hamiltonian mechanics is commonly used in the study of celestial mechanics and quantum mechanics.

4. How is this book different from other textbooks on classical mechanics?

One key difference is the emphasis on geometric and variational aspects of classical mechanics, rather than a purely analytical approach. Additionally, the book covers topics such as Noether's theorem and symplectic geometry in more depth than many other textbooks.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. However, due to its advanced level and mathematical rigor, it may be more beneficial for students to have some guidance from a professor or tutor while studying from this book.