Foundations of Mechanics, Abraham and Marsden

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ForMyThunder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Foundations Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
ForMyThunder
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Is Abraham and Marsden's Foundations of Mechanics a good book to learn Classical Mechanics? In other words, if I were to go through this book (which I believe is more mathematical than physics-related) would I have a good, intuitive grasp of Classical Mechanics?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How much background in physics and mathematics do you have already?

According to the preview feature on amazon.com, the "Preliminaries" section includes topology, finite-dimensional Banach spaces, local differential calculus, manifolds and mappings, vector bundles, ...

That looks like a major stretch (to put it mildly) for the vast majority of high-school students in the USA, and even for the vast majority of undergraduate university students.
 
jtbell said:
That looks like a major stretch (to put it mildly) for the vast majority of high-school students in the USA, and even for the vast majority of undergraduate university students.

I agree completely.
 
I actually have the necessary mathematical requirements, although just skimming through the book, it seems they give a more general definition for manifolds than I am used to, requiring them to be locally homeomorphic to a Banach space rather than Euclidean space. Other than that the math doesn't seem like it would bother me. I am more interested in whether the topics in this book contains enough physics-related material; although symplectic geometry is motivated by classical mechanics, I want a more physical approach than mathematical, something that will give me a solid intuition on the subject of Classical Mechanics.