Block on a Plane (Classical Mechanics)

In summary, the author explains how to balance forces in a plane using the force balance equation, which is true for any angle range provided that there is no net force on the object.
vcm1992
I've taken intro to classical mechanics, but am really not sure about how this example calculates the friction force and the normal force...I usually break down the force vector into components, and I understand that this is probably a much more simple way to calculate the perpendicular and parallel forces, I just can't really grasp how the author is coming to these conclusions. Sorry if this is a really simple problem! Any help or other textbooks that might explain this would be appreciated! Thanks.
IMG-3562.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
You have shown us the solution from your textbook, but not the problem that it's a solution for. From the third sentence of the solution and the drawing, it appears that there is a horizontal force ##Mg## applied to the block in addition to the vertical force of gravity. Given that, the equations for ##F_f## and ##N## are just the force balance equations in the tangential and normal directions.

We might very well ask why Mg acts in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This looks like a mistake to me.

Dr.D said:
We might very well ask why Mg acts in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This looks like a mistake to me.
We won't know until we see the problem statement.

vcm1992 said:
I just can't really grasp how the author is coming to these conclusions.
By balancing all forces parallel and perpendicular to the plane, as the text says. It might help you to draw the parallel and perpendicular components as separate arrows.

tnich said:
You have shown us the solution from your textbook, but not the problem that it's a solution for. From the third sentence of the solution and the drawing, it appears that there is a horizontal force ##Mg## applied to the block in addition to the vertical force of gravity. Given that, the equations for ##F_f## and ##N## are just the force balance equations in the tangential and normal directions.

The problem states that "A block of mass M rests on a fixed plane inclined at an angle theta. You apply a horizontal force Mg on the block. Assume friction force is enough to keep the block at rest. What are the normal and friction forces that the plane exerts on the block? For what range of angles will the block remain at rest?"

I understand that these are the force balance equations and I have no doubt that they are correct, I think that my question is more why are they correct? As I said, my professor taught breaking down force vectors into x and y components, so I do not understand HOW this balance equation is true. What is the assumption here? Thanks!

A.T. said:
By balancing all forces parallel and perpendicular to the plane, as the text says. It might help you to draw the parallel and perpendicular components as separate arrows.

Hi, thank you so much for this advice! Although I did break it up into components before, I finally grasp the logic. I really feel like this way should have been taught as it does make it easier to orient the components with respect to the plane and not the x and y axis. Thank goodness this finally makes sense.

IMG-3563.JPG

Likes A.T.

1. What is a block on a plane in classical mechanics?

A block on a plane in classical mechanics refers to a simple system where a block of mass is placed on a frictionless inclined plane. The block is subject to the force of gravity and can move along the plane due to the angle of inclination.

2. What are the key principles involved in analyzing a block on a plane?

The key principles involved in analyzing a block on a plane include Newton's laws of motion, the concept of forces, and the use of free body diagrams. These principles help in understanding the motion and equilibrium of the block on the inclined plane.

3. How is the motion of a block on a plane affected by the angle of inclination?

The angle of inclination plays a crucial role in determining the motion of a block on a plane. As the angle increases, the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the plane also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration of the block down the plane.

4. Can the speed of a block on a plane be calculated using classical mechanics?

Yes, the speed of a block on a plane can be calculated using classical mechanics. By applying Newton's second law, the net force acting on the block can be determined, and using kinematic equations, the speed of the block can be calculated at any given point in time.

5. How does the presence of friction affect the motion of a block on a plane?

The presence of friction can significantly impact the motion of a block on a plane. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing the block to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This can also change the angle of inclination required for the block to remain in equilibrium on the plane.