Four Bugs Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving four bugs walking on a flat surface and the motion of bug A starting at (1,1). The equations \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{y-x}{x-y} and \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{y-x}{x+y} are mentioned as possible solutions, with a hint from a website and the teacher to use the substitution y=ux. The conversation ends with a discussion about the accuracy of the equations and the graph provided in the original problem.
simpleman008

Homework Statement

Four bugs are walking on a flat surface. They start at the four points (1,1), (1,-1), (-1,1), and (-1,-1) and begin walking counterclockwise, each one following the next. Show that the motion of bug A, who starts at (1,1), satisfies the equation [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{y-x}{x-y}[/tex] and solve using an appropriate substitution.

Homework Equations

After some extensive research, I've found the same problem on another website (http://legacy.lclark.edu/~istavrov/diffeq-revsheet1-09.pdf)
that states the motion of the bug starting from (1,-1) satisfies [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{y-x}{x+y}[/tex] and that each bugs motion can be shown by the graph:
4bs.png

The Attempt at a Solution

A hint from the website, as well as from my teacher, was given saying that y=ux would be the most viable substitution. So starting there I have
[tex]y=ux => dy=xdu + udx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{xdu + udx}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{ux-x}{x-ux}[/tex]

which after some algebra leads me to:
[tex](x-xu+u)du[/tex]= [tex](u^{2}+u-1)dx[/tex]
This is where I'm stuck, and it doesn't even help me with the first part about proving WHY dy/dx is what it is (i have ideas floating around in my head but nothings clicking yet or coming together in any meaningful way). Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the equation for the first part is right? Because [tex] \frac{y-x}{x-y}=-1[/tex] which doesn't make for a very interesting differential equation

Office_Shredder said:
Are you sure the equation for the first part is right? Because [tex] \frac{y-x}{x-y}=-1[/tex] which doesn't make for a very interesting differential equation

Yes that is how he had it written, but why did you put it equal to -1?

Also let it be noted that the graph I included obviously isn't correct cause it needs to be rotated 45 degrees

1. What is a Four Bugs Differential Equation?

A Four Bugs Differential Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the growth and interaction of four different populations of bugs over time. It takes into account factors such as reproduction rates, competition for resources, and predator-prey relationships.

2. How is a Four Bugs Differential Equation used in science?

In science, a Four Bugs Differential Equation can be used to model and predict the behavior of insect populations in various environments. It can also be used to study the effects of different interventions, such as introducing a new predator or changing the availability of resources on the population dynamics of these four bug species.

3. What are the variables in a Four Bugs Differential Equation?

The variables in a Four Bugs Differential Equation are typically the population sizes of the four bug species, represented by the letters A, B, C, and D. These population sizes can change over time based on the values of other parameters in the equation, such as growth rates and interaction coefficients.

4. What are the limitations of a Four Bugs Differential Equation?

One limitation of a Four Bugs Differential Equation is that it assumes a constant environment and does not take into account external influences such as weather or human interventions. It also assumes that the populations are continuously growing and interacting, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How can a Four Bugs Differential Equation be solved?

A Four Bugs Differential Equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of precision in the solution.