Four charges in a plane. Finding the resultant Force

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation kq1q1/r^2 to find the forces between three charges. The forces were split into x and y components, added together, and found using the Pythagorean theorem. The resulting force may have been incorrect due to incorrect direction of the forces.
rphung

Homework Statement

number4.jpg

Homework Equations

kq1q1/r^2
k being 8.98755 x 10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the 3 forces between the 3 charges using the above equation. I split up the forces into x and y compnents. Added the sum of the y's and the x's. Used Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting force. I could not get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
rphung said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the 3 forces between the 3 charges using the above equation. I split up the forces into x and y compnents. Added the sum of the y's and the x's. Used Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting force. I could not get the correct answer.

Well since you didn't post your calculation and you did do the question how you were supposed to do it.The most I can say is that you probably drew the forces going in the wrong direction. Like charges repel and unlike attract.

My resulting vector was pointing towards the first quadrant. Is that right?

1. What is the resultant force of four charges in a plane?

The resultant force of four charges in a plane refers to the overall force acting on the charges in a given direction. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each individual charge and calculates the overall effect on the charges.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force of four charges in a plane?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual charge. Then, use vector addition to add all the forces together. The resulting vector will be the resultant force.

3. Can the resultant force of four charges in a plane be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the resultant force to be zero if the forces acting on the charges are balanced. This means that the net force on the charges is equal to zero, resulting in no movement in any particular direction.

4. What factors can affect the resultant force of four charges in a plane?

The magnitude and direction of each individual charge, as well as their relative positions, can affect the resultant force. Additionally, the presence of other charges or external forces in the vicinity can also impact the overall resultant force.

5. How does the angle between the charges impact the resultant force of four charges in a plane?

The angle between the charges can impact the resultant force by changing the direction of the individual forces. For example, if the charges are aligned in a straight line, the resultant force will be in the same direction as the individual forces. However, if the charges are at an angle to each other, the resultant force will be at a different angle.