Four complex points lie on a circle proof

In summary, the exercise states that if the angles of two complex numbers are the same, then the four complex numbers lie on a circle or a straight line, and conversely. To prove this, it can be shown that the cross ratio of the four numbers is real, which is a property of Mobius maps. Therefore, the points lie on a straight line or a circle. Conversely, if the four complex numbers lie on a straight line or a circle, then their cross ratio is real and they can be mapped by a Mobius map.
QuantumP7
This isn't really homework. I'm studying What Is Mathematics by myself. But I'm very stuck on one of its exercises.

Homework Statement

Prove that if for four complex numbers [itex]z_{1}[/itex], [itex]z_{2}[/itex], [itex]z_{3}[/itex] and [itex]z_{4}[/itex] the angles of [itex]\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}[/itex] are the same, then the four numbers lie on a circle or on a straight line, and conversely.

Homework Equations

[itex]x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}[/itex] and [itex]ax + b = c[/itex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove that the quotient between two complex numbers with the same angle is real, using the trigonometric form of the complex numbers (z = [itex]\rho(\cos(\phi) + i\sin(\phi))[/itex]. I have [itex]\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}} = \rho_{123}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}} = \rho_{124}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex].

Between two complex numbers, z and z', if the angle between the two are real, then:

[itex]\frac{z}{z'} = \frac{\rho_{z}(cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))}{\rho_{z'}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))} = \frac{\rho_{z}}{\rho_{z'}}(\cos(\phi - \phi) + i \sin(\phi - \phi)) = \frac{\rho_{z}}{\rho_{z'}}(\cos{0} + i \sin {0}) = \frac{\rho_{z}}{\rho_{z'}}[/itex]

I have [itex]\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}} = \rho_{123}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}} = \rho_{124}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex] so that [itex]\frac{\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}} {\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}}= \frac{\rho_{123}}{\rho_{124}}[/itex].

What I am not understanding is how this means that all four complex points lie on a circle or a straight line? Should I reduce the [itex]\frac{\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}} {\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}}[/itex] to their [itex]a + bi[/itex] components to try to get them into the form for the equation of a circle? So that [itex]\frac{\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}} {\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}} = \frac{\frac{(a_{3} + ib_{3}) - (a_{1} + ib_{1})}{(a_{3} + ib{3}) - (a_{2} + ib{2})}}{\frac{(a_{4} + ib_{4}) - (a_{1} + ib_{1})}{(a_{4} + ib_{4}) - (a_{2} + ib_{2})}}[/itex]?

Does anyone have a hint for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumP7 said:
This isn't really homework. I'm studying What Is Mathematics by myself. But I'm very stuck on one of its exercises.

Homework Statement

Prove that if for four complex numbers [itex]z_{1}[/itex], [itex]z_{2}[/itex], [itex]z_{3}[/itex] and [itex]z_{4}[/itex] the angles of [itex]\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}[/itex] are the same, then the four numbers lie on a circle or on a straight line, and conversely.

Homework Equations

[itex]x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}[/itex] and [itex]ax + b = c[/itex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove that the quotient between two complex numbers with the same angle is real, using the trigonometric form of the complex numbers (z = [itex]\rho(\cos(\phi) + i\sin(\phi))[/itex]. I have [itex]\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}} = \rho_{123}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}} = \rho_{124}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex].

Between two complex numbers, z and z', if the angle between the two are real, then:

[itex]\frac{z}{z'} = \frac{\rho_{z}(cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))}{\rho_{z'}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))} = \frac{\rho_{z}}{\rho_{z'}}(\cos(\phi - \phi) + i \sin(\phi - \phi)) = \frac{\rho_{z}}{\rho_{z'}}(\cos{0} + i \sin {0}) = \frac{\rho_{z}}{\rho_{z'}}[/itex]

I have [itex]\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}} = \rho_{123}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex] and [itex]\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}} = \rho_{124}(\cos(\phi) + i \sin(\phi))[/itex] so that [itex]\frac{\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}} {\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}}= \frac{\rho_{123}}{\rho_{124}}[/itex].

What I am not understanding is how this means that all four complex points lie on a circle or a straight line? Should I reduce the [itex]\frac{\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}} {\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}}[/itex] to their [itex]a + bi[/itex] components to try to get them into the form for the equation of a circle? So that [itex]\frac{\frac{z_{3} - z_{1}}{z_{3} - z_{2}}} {\frac{z_{4} - z_{1}}{z_{4} - z_{2}}} = \frac{\frac{(a_{3} + ib_{3}) - (a_{1} + ib_{1})}{(a_{3} + ib{3}) - (a_{2} + ib{2})}}{\frac{(a_{4} + ib_{4}) - (a_{1} + ib_{1})}{(a_{4} + ib_{4}) - (a_{2} + ib_{2})}}[/itex]?

Does anyone have a hint for this problem?

Use the angle being the same to show the cross ratio is real. The cross ratio is invariant under Mobius transformations. Use ideas like that rather than trying to mess around with components.

I think this is a question about Mobius maps. I say this because
[tex]\phi(z) = \frac{z - z_1}{z - z_2}[/tex]
is a Mobius map, and one of the properties of Mobius maps is that they map straight lines and circles to straight lines and circles. Now
[tex]\phi^{-1}(z) = \frac{zz_2 - z_1}{z - 1}[/tex]
maps the points 0, [itex]\infty[/itex], [itex](z_3 - z_1)/(z_3 - z_2)[/itex] and [itex](z_4 - z_1)/(z_4 - z_2)[/itex] to the points [itex]z_1, z_2, z_3, z_4[/itex] respectively. Now if
[tex]
\arg \left( \frac{z_3 - z_1}{z_3 - z_2} \right) = \arg \left( \frac{z_4 - z_1}{z_4 - z_2} \right)
[/tex]
then the points [itex]0, \infty, (z_3 - z_1)/(z_3 - z_2)[/itex] and [itex](z_4 - z_1)/(z_4 - z_2)[/itex] lie on a straight line, so their images lie on a straight line or a circle.

Conversely, if [itex]z_1, z_2, z_3[/itex] and [itex]z_4[/itex] lie on a straight line or a circle, then so do [itex]0, \infty[/itex], [itex](z_3 - z_1)/(z_3 - z_2)[/itex] and [itex](z_4 - z_1)/(z_4 - z_2)[/itex]. Since [itex]\infty[/itex] is in that set, it must be a straight line (so that the arguments of [itex](z_3 - z_1)/(z_3 - z_2)[/itex] and [itex](z_4 - z_1)/(z_4 - z_2)[/itex] are equal or differ by [itex]\pi[/itex]).

There's an even simpler argument if you've already proven that given three distinct points there is some mobius transformation such that f(z1)=1, f(z2)=0 and f(z3)=∞. Then you don't really have to worry about the details of what the formula for f even is. Just use that the cross ratio is real.

Last edited:
Thank you guys soooooooooo much!

1. How do you prove that four complex points lie on a circle?

To prove that four complex points lie on a circle, you can use the following method:

1. Write the coordinates of the four points in the form of complex numbers.

2. Use the distance formula to find the distance between each of the points.

3. If the distances are equal, then the points lie on a circle.

2. Can you explain the concept of complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (sqrt(-1)). These numbers can be plotted on a complex plane, where the real numbers lie on the x-axis and the imaginary numbers lie on the y-axis.

3. What is the distance formula and how is it used in this proof?

The distance formula is a mathematical formula used to find the distance between two points on a plane. In this proof, the distance formula is used to calculate the distance between the four complex points. If the distances are equal, it means that the points lie on a circle.

4. What are some real-life applications of this proof?

This proof has various applications in geometry, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to prove the stability of a structure by showing that the corners of a square or rectangle lie on a circle. It can also be used in navigation systems to determine the position of an object based on its distance from four known points.

5. What are some common misconceptions about this proof?

One common misconception is that this proof only works with real numbers. However, it can also be used with complex numbers. Another misconception is that the points must be in a specific position on the circle, but in reality, they can be placed anywhere on the circle as long as the distances between them are equal.