1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpret the angle of the complex number

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Interpret the angle of the complex number [itex](z_{1} - z_{2}) / (z_{1} - z_{3})[/itex]
    in the triangle formed by the points [itex]z_{1}, z_{2}, z_{3}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not entirely sure what to do in this question, I've done a couple of examples with some complex numbers but haven't noticed anything special about the resulting angle. I'm also a bit confused by what 'Interpret' means. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
    babak

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the examples you tried, how does the angle formed at the z1 compare with the argument of [itex]\displaystyle\frac{z_{1} - z_{2}}{z_{1} - z_{3}}\,?[/itex]

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    I've seen this question before
    if you think about z1-z2, that's just like a vector from z1 to z2, yes

so try and relate the division of the angles to the dot products of normal vectors

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, I think I see now. So the angle formed at [itex]z_{1}[/itex] is the same as the argument of [itex]\frac{z_{1} - z_{2}}{z_{1} - z_{3}}[/itex] ?

thanks
    babak

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook