1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four particles form a square with different charges

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_21-22.gif

Four particles form a square. The charges are q1= q4=Q and q2=q3=q. a) what is Q/q if the net electrostatic force on particles 1 and 4 is zero? B) is there any value of q that makes the net electrostatic force on each of the four particles zero? Explain.

Spending way too much time on this problem!

I know that Fnet = F1 + F2 +...

also F = K (absq1)(absq2)/ r^2

absolutely clueless

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    Are you familiar with vector notation?

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    kind of not really

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    i think i got it but i dont understand why you are adding here to get the force of q4 on q1 here using cos and sin.....F 41 = − Q⋅Q4πε 0 ⋅ 2a2 cos 45°iˆ + Q⋅Q/4π ε0 ⋅ 2a2 sin 45°

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5
    i think a sketch would help you to understand:

http://www.go-krang.de/physicsforums.com[/URL] [Broken] - thread - 338289.png[/PLAIN] [Broken]​

I assumed that
    [tex]q < 0[/tex]​
    so the forces
    [tex]\vec F_{12}, \vec F_{13}[/tex]​
    are attractive! Of course
    [tex]\vec F_{14}[/tex]​
    is repulsive!

So if you are not familiar with vectors, we have to calculate the magnitude of
    [tex]F_{12+13} = \sqrt{F_{12}^2 + F_{13}^2} = \sqrt{2} \cdot F_{12} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \rm{with} ~~~~~~ F_{12} = F_{13}[/tex]​

Cause the forces F_{12+13} and F_{14} are antiparallel the requirement for your question is
    [tex]F_{12+13} = F_{14}[/tex]​

Because of the symmetrie of this problem, that's the only thing you have to show!

Hope i could help you!?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 18, 2009 #6
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook