1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series and even extension of function

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to solve this exercise but I have some problems, because I haven't seen an exercise of this type before.

"[itex]f(x)= \pi -x[/itex] in [itex][0, \pi][/itex]

Let's consider the even extension of f(x) in [itex][-\pi, \pi][/itex]
    and write the Fourier Series using this set ( [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt {\pi}} \cos nx[/itex] )
    and use the Parseval identity to prove:
    [itex]\sum \frac{1}{(2k+1)^2}= \frac{\pi ^2}{8}[/itex]"

My attempt:

[itex]a_0= \frac{1}{\sqrt {2 \pi}} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt {2 \pi}} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} (\pi -x) dx= \frac{2 \pi^2}{\sqrt {2\pi}}[/itex]

[itex]a_n= \frac{2}{\sqrt \pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} f(x)\cos nx dx=\frac{2}{\sqrt \pi} \frac{1-cos \pi n}{n^2}= \frac{2[1+(-1)^n]}{ \sqrt {\pi n^2}}[/itex]

So,

[itex]f(x)=\frac{2 \pi^2}{\sqrt {2\pi}}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2[1-(-1)^n]}{ \sqrt {\pi n^2}} \frac {\cos nx}{\sqrt \pi}[/itex]

Could you tell me if these steps are correct? Are the formulas for Fourier coefficients correct?

For the second part of the exercise, I have and enormous doubt:
    It was told me that in similar cases, Parseval Identity is:

[itex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |f(x)|^2 dx= a_o^2+ \sum |a_n|^2[/itex]

I don't know how to do [itex]|a_n|[/itex], because there is the term [itex](-1)^n[/itex]..
    And I have a lot of doubts to obtain the result [itex]{\pi}^2/8[/itex] using the results that I have obtained...

Many thanks for your precious help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, your results aren't correct. The ##n^2## shouldn't be inside the square root in ##a_n##. It also doesn't look like you integrated correctly. In your expression for ##a_0##, you're integrating over the entire interval, but you didn't use the even extension for f(x). Finally, the constant term in the series isn't correct. It should be of the form ##a_0/\sqrt{2\pi}## where ##1/\sqrt{2\pi}## is there because it's the basis function.

You can simplify the expression for the series a bit by considering what happens when ##n## is even and when ##n## is odd.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. Jan 25, 2015 #3
    you're right.... :/ many thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted