Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series of Even Square Wave

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]-0.5\leq{t}\leq{1.5}, T=2[/itex]
    The wave is the attached picture.

I need to determine the Fourier Series of the wave in the picture.

I know that [tex]f(t)=a_0+{\sum}_{n=1}^{\infty}a_ncos(n\omega_0t)+{\sum}_{n=1}^{\infty}b_nsin(n\omega_0t)[/tex]

where [itex]a_0=\bar{f}=0[/itex] due to being an even function. Furthermore, [itex]b_n=0[/itex] due to being an even function also.

That leaves,
    [tex]a_n=\int_{-0.5}^{0.5}cos(n\omega_0t)dt-\int_{0.5}^{1.5}cos(n{\omega}_0t)dt=0-\frac{1}{n\omega_0}(sin(1.5n{\omega}_0t)-sin(0.5n{\omega}_0t))=\frac{1}{n{\omega}_0}(sin(0.5n{\omega}_0t)-sin(1.5n{\omega}_0t))[/tex]

therefore,
    [tex]f(t)=\frac{1}{{\omega}_0}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}cos(n{\omega}_0t)(sin(0.5n{\omega}_0t)-sin(1.5n{\omega}_0t))[/tex]

Is this suffice as an answer, or am I missing something? My textbook is lacking examples so I just would like to know if I am doing it right. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2
    I also had encountered another equation deeper in the chapter that states
    [tex]f(t)=A/2+(2A/\pi)\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sin((2n-1)\omega{_0}t)}{2n-1}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?