Fourier series: Parseval's identity HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty with a problem involving deriving things and finding Fourier coefficients. The participants suggest representing the inner product in a different form and discussing the rules for moving the integral inside the summation. They also mention the importance of understanding Fourier series and their convergence in relation to the function being continuous and differentiable.
sarahisme
Hey all,

I am unsure how to do this problem... i find problems where i have to derive things quite difficult! :P

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/744/picture2ao8.png

this is the Full Fourier series i think and so the Fourier coeffiecients would be given by:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8200/picture5yv4.png

ok so first i need to take the inner product, so i did this:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7193/picture4ol9.png

but then i am stuck... anyone got an idea of how to proceed from here?

Cheers! :)

Sarah

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about writing the inner product in this form instead...

[tex]\int_{-L}^{+L}|f(x)|^2dx = \int_{-L}^{+L} f(x) \left( \frac{A_0}{2} + \sum_{n\geq 1} A_n\cos (\frac{n\pi x}{L})+B_n\sin (\frac{n\pi x}{L}) \right)dx[/tex]

does this inspire you more? (It should)

quasar987 said:
How about writing the inner product in this form instead...

[tex]\int_{-L}^{+L}|f(x)|^2dx = \int_{-L}^{+L} f(x) \left( \frac{A_0}{2} + \sum_{n\geq 1} A_n\cos (\frac{n\pi x}{L})+B_n\sin (\frac{n\pi x}{L}) \right)dx[/tex]

does this inspire you more? (It should)

it does actually, hold on... i'll post my answer in a sec

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8739/picture6tt5.png

however i do have one question, are we allowed to substitute the integral inside the summation? (i am have never heard of any rules telling me whether this is or is not allowed...)

Haven't you covered series of functions (or at least sequences of functions) in an earlier class?

Last edited:
not for a couple of years i don't think...

thanks for the help by the way :)

Strange, since Fourier series are precisely series of functions. In occurence, sine and cosine. They are usually covered in a second analysis class together with the theory of Riemann integration.

yeah, we did Riemann integration about a year and half ago i think, in a first analysis class I'm pretty sure.

So when is it OK to move the integral inside the summation?

Thm: If the series of function [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n(x)[/itex] converges uniformly towards S(x) on [a,b] and if [itex]f_n[/itex] is integrable on [a,b] [itex]\forall n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex], then the function S is integrable on [a,b] and

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\int_a^b f_n(x)dx=\int_a^b \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n(x)dx[/tex]

sarahisme said:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8739/picture6tt5.png

however i do have one question, are we allowed to substitute the integral inside the summation? (i am have never heard of any rules telling me whether this is or is not allowed...)

In this case it is surely ok to include the integral in the summation. Don't know the rule exactly but I remember my professor claiming that it's ok to do the above one.

I will try to find supporting evidence in due course!

In this case, how do we check if the Fourier series converges uniformly to the f(x)?
Actually we don't know if the function f is continuous and C^1 in [-L,L] so I think that we can't "move the integral inside the summation". If it was saying, for example, that the function f is periodic with L=pi and f is square integrable than we could do this.

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of trigonometric functions.

2. What is Parseval's identity?

Parseval's identity is a mathematical theorem that relates the energy or power of a signal in the time domain to its representation in the frequency domain.

3. How is Parseval's identity used in Fourier series?

Parseval's identity is used to determine the energy or power of a periodic signal by calculating the coefficients of its Fourier series and using them to evaluate the integral in the identity.

4. What is the significance of Parseval's identity in signal processing?

Parseval's identity is significant in signal processing because it allows us to analyze signals and their frequency components in a more efficient and accurate manner, making it a useful tool in areas such as telecommunications and audio processing.

5. Can Parseval's identity be used for non-periodic signals?

No, Parseval's identity only applies to periodic signals. For non-periodic signals, the related Plancherel's theorem can be used instead.