1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series question, either i'm wrong or the answers are wrong

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    p2YPJ.png

2. Relevant equations
    KIjJQ.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    i'm pretty much learning fourier series from scratch today after only looking at it in lectures (and my exam is tomorrow lol @ me) and i'm sort of stuck.
    The solutions have something different to what i have, i think it might be an error in their integration by parts (which i also learnt today, despite how simple it seems).

this is my working out: http://i.imgur.com/6OXlr.jpg
    and this is the worked solutions: http://i.imgur.com/1RAJL.png

doesnt the integral of (1/n)*sin(nx) equal to (-1/n^2)*cos(nx)? like i have in my working?
    because the solutions are saying it integrates into (-1/n)*cos(nx).
    or is mine set out incorrectly after i've integrated by parts?

edit: i've only shown both workings from where i had to find a subscript n, before that everything was fine and correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

little hard to follow but i think maybe you're just missing the limits in you int by parts...
    [tex] u = x [/tex]
    [tex] du = 1 [/tex]
    [tex] dv = cos(nx) [/tex]
    [tex] v = \frac{1}{n}.sin(nx) [/tex]

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} u.dv = (u.v)|_{a}^{b} - \int_{a}^{b}du.v[/tex]
    [tex]\int_0^{\pi} x.cos(nx).dx [/tex]
    [tex]= (x.\frac{1}{n}.sin(nx))|_{0}^{\pi} - \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{1}{n}.sin(nx).dx [/tex]
    [tex]= 0 - \frac{1}{n} \int_{0}^{\pi} sin(nx).dx [/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{n^2} (cos(nx).dx)|_{0}^{\pi}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. Jun 20, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

it is true that
    [tex] \frac{1}{n}\int sin(nx).dx = -\frac{1}{n^2}cos(nx)
    [/tex]

just differentiate to check

5. Jun 20, 2011 #4

i dont understand what you're doing?

what have u used as u and v?
    shouldnt (x.n.sin(nx) be (x/n).sin(nx) after the first = sign?

6. Jun 20, 2011 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

sorry, did that a too quick, corrected and lines up with yours now

notice the sine terms cancel as [itex]sin(0) = sin(\pi) = 0[/itex]

7. Jun 20, 2011 #6
    ok thanks.

also where do the cos's disappear to?
    i think something about if that part of the function is odd then you make it -1 or something? and/or if it's even make it 1, i dont know :S

8. Jun 20, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

which cos's? in the first step the sin appear instead of cos's due to the integration by parts

now you should be considering the whole integral from -pi to pi, braking it up into two pieces note that
    cos(-x) = cos(x)
    and
    sin(-x) = -sin(x)

you should be able to show for any function
    - if the function is odd, it only has sin components (sin is an odd function)
    - if the function is even, it only has cos components (cos is an even function)

9. Jun 20, 2011 #8
    yeah i underrstand, thanks a lot!

also regarding the values for a0, an, and bn (http://i.imgur.com/KIjJQ.png) they are all integrals from -L -> L, but in all the examples i've done or seen (about 3), they've taken the integral from 0 -> L and then multiplied the entire thing by 2.

Now i understand they're halving the region of integration and then doubling the overall answer, but can this always be done when a question asks for a fourier series of a piecemeal function, whether the fn is even or odd? (with a question of the same style as the one in the OP)
    And if so, any reason why my formula sheet gives us a0 etc as integrals from -L to L when we can just make it twice the integral from 0-L?

10. Jun 20, 2011 #9

lanedance

Homework Helper

write out the whole integral, break it into 2 pieces at 0, then use the properties of sin or cos as described last time and it should become obvious. this will only work for odd or even functions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook