chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
Fourier cosine series
I was just going through my old notes on this i.e

1699522218550.png
The concept is straight forward- only challenge phew :cool: is the integration bit...took me round and round a little bit... that is for ##A_n## part.

My working pretty ok i.e we shall realize the text solution. Kindly find my own working below.

1699522329913.png
Now to my question supposing we have to find say Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)= x^7##. The integration by parts here will take like forever to do. Do we have software for this? Will Wolfram help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Will Wolfram help?
Pretty easy to check for yourself :wink: . Let us know !

##\ ##

BvU said:
Pretty easy to check for yourself :wink: . Let us know !

##\ ##
Will do check @BvU ... however, if one was to do this by hand ... No technology...how long would it take to work to solution?

The ##f(x)= x^7## is odd. Perhaps Fourier sine series rather than cosine?

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Now to my question supposing we have to find say Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)= x^7##. The integration by parts here will take like forever to do. Do we have software for this? Will Wolfram help?

Set [tex]I_n = \int_0^{2\pi} x^{2n+1} \sin kx\,dx, \qquad k = 1, 2, \dots.[/tex] so that integrating by parts twice, [tex]
I_n = - \frac{(2n+1)(2n)}{k^2}I_{n-1} - \frac{(2\pi)^{2n+1}}{k}.[/tex] This recurrence relation can be solved subject to the initial condition [itex]I_0 = -\frac{2\pi}{k}[/itex] to obtain [tex]
I_N = \frac{(2N + 1)!(-1)^N}{k^{2N}} \frac{2\pi}{k}\sum_{n=0}^N \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(2\pi k)^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}.[/tex]

• Informative
Likes chwala and DrClaude

1. How do you find the Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)=x^2##?

To find the Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)=x^2##, we first need to express ##f(x)## as an even function by extending it periodically over the interval ##[-L,L]##. Since ##f(x)=x^2## is already an even function, we can directly use the formula for the Fourier cosine series:

2. What is the formula for the Fourier cosine series?

The formula for the Fourier cosine series of a function ##f(x)## defined on the interval ##[-L,L]## is given by:

3. What are the coefficients in the Fourier cosine series?

The coefficients in the Fourier cosine series are calculated using the formula:

4. How do you determine the convergence of the Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)=x^2##?

The convergence of the Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)=x^2## can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function ##f(x)## and its derivatives at the endpoints of the interval ##[-L,L]##. In this case, since ##f(x)=x^2## is a smooth function, the Fourier cosine series will converge to ##f(x)=x^2## for all ##x## in the interval ##[-L,L]##.

5. Can the Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)=x^2## be used to approximate the function?

Yes, the Fourier cosine series for ##f(x)=x^2## can be used to approximate the function ##f(x)=x^2## over the interval ##[-L,L]##. By using a finite number of terms in the series, we can obtain an increasingly accurate approximation of ##f(x)=x^2##.