Fourier series technique to show that the following series sum to the quantities

In summary, using the Fourier series technique, it has been shown that the series 1+1/3^2+1/5^2+...+1/n^2 converges to pi^2/8 as n goes to infinity. The proof involves finding the sum of the series using the formula sum(1/(2n-1)^2,n,1,infinity) and utilizing the properties of the Fourier series, specifically the function f(x) = |x|, to solve the problem.
maddogtheman
Use the Fourier series technique to show that the following series sum to the quantities shown:
1+1/3^2+1/5^2+...+1/n^2=pi^2/8 for n going to infinity

I foudn the series to be:

sum(1/(2n-1)^2,n,1,infinity)

but I don't know how to prove the idenity.

I don't know how to go about solving it using the Fourier method. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I was able to prove sum(1/n^4,n,1,infinity)=pi^4/90 and sum(1/n^2,n,1,infinity)=pi^2/6 and I'm not sure if the problem is simular.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Set ##f(x)=|x|##. Then ##a_0=\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |x|\,dx =\pi^2## and ##a_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}|x|\cos(nx)\,dx =\frac{\cos(\pi n)-1}{n^2}## and consider ##x=0##.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in fields such as signal processing and physics.

2. How does the Fourier series technique work?

The Fourier series technique involves breaking down a periodic function into a series of sine and cosine functions with different amplitudes, frequencies, and phases. The resulting series can then be used to approximate the original function over a certain interval.

3. What is the purpose of using Fourier series?

The purpose of using Fourier series is to simplify the representation of a complex function and make it easier to analyze. By using a combination of simpler sine and cosine functions, we can understand the behavior of a function over a given interval more easily.

4. How is the Fourier series used to show that a series sums to a specific quantity?

The Fourier series can be used to approximate a periodic function. By manipulating the amplitudes, frequencies, and phases of the sine and cosine functions, we can make the resulting series converge to a specific quantity. This is known as the Fourier series convergence theorem.

5. What are some limitations of the Fourier series technique?

One limitation of the Fourier series technique is that it only works for periodic functions. It also requires the function to have well-defined derivatives and may not work well for functions with sharp corners or discontinuities. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be slow, making it difficult to accurately approximate certain functions.