Fourier sine transform for Wave Equation

In summary, the author tried to find a solution to a PDE by taking the Fourier transform, but ran into some trouble. They then found a solution using the inverse Fourier cosine transform.
compliant

Homework Statement

Find the solution u, via the Fourier sine/cosine transform, given:
[tex]u_{tt}-c^{2}u_{xx}=0[/tex]
IC: [tex]u(x,0) = u_{t}(x,0)=0[/tex]
BC: u(x,t) bounded as [tex]x\rightarrow \infty , u_{x}(0,t) = g(t)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
Taking the Fourier transform of the PDE, IC and BC:

[tex]U_{tt}-c^{2}(i\lambda)^{2}U=0[/tex]
[tex]U_{tt}+c^{2}\lambda^{2}U=0[/tex]

which is an ODE in t, so two linearly independent solutions of the homogeneous equation are [tex]sin(\lambda ct)[/tex] and [tex]cos(\lambda ct)[/tex].

If I take a linear combination of these two solutions, I get zero constants, which eventually leaves me with u = 0 as a solution, or at least one that's only x-dependent.

But if u is x-dependent, [tex]U_{tt} = 0 \Rightarrow c^{2}\lambda^{2}U=0 \Rightarrow U = 0[/tex]

which still leaves me with u = 0 as a solution, and, no offense, for a homework problem, that's kind of lame. That's why I'm suspicious, and asking to see if I'm doing it right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
compliant said:

Homework Statement

Find the solution u, via the Fourier sine/cosine transform, given:
[tex]u_{tt}=c^{2}u_{xx}=0[/tex]
IC: [tex]u(x,0) = u_{t}(x,0)=0[/tex]
BC: u(x,t) bounded as [tex]x\rightarrow \infty , u_{x}(0,t) = g(t)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
Taking the Fourier transform of the PDE, IC and BC:

[tex]U_{tt}-c^{2}(i\lambda)^{2}U=0[/tex]
[tex]U_{tt}+c^{2}\lambda^{2}U=0[/tex]

which is an ODE in t, so two linearly independent solutions of the homogeneous equation are [tex]sin(\lambda ct)[/tex] and [tex]cos(\lambda ct)[/tex].

If I take a linear combination of these two solutions, I get zero constants, which eventually leaves me with u = 0 as a solution, or at least one that's only x-dependent.

But if u is x-dependent, [tex]U_{tt} = 0 \Rightarrow c^{2}\lambda^{2}U=0 \Rightarrow U = 0[/tex]

which still leaves me with u = 0 as a solution, and, no offense, for a homework problem, that's kind of lame. That's why I'm suspicious, and asking to see if I'm doing it right.

Solving just PDE and IC without Fourier (and without BC) yields u(x,t)=0.

Are you sure you have the right equations in your problem?

[PLAIN]http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/9894/fourier5313.png

there was a minus sign. oops.

In any case, relevant equations:
[tex]F_{c}(f(x,t)) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{0} cos (\lambda x) f(x,t) dx[/tex]
[tex]F_{c}(f''(x,t)) = -\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}} f'(0,t) - \lambda^{2} F_{c}(f(x,t))[/tex]

which gives me

[tex]U_{tt}-c^{2}\left[-\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}U_{x}(0,t)-\lambda^{2}U \right] = 0[/tex]
[tex]U_{tt}+c^{2}\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}g(t)+c^{2}\lambda^{2}U = 0[/tex]

Which, by the method of Green's Functions, gives me:

[tex]U(\lambda,t) = \int^{t}_{0} -c^{2}sin (\lambda c (\tau-t))\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}g(\lambda,\tau) d\tau[/tex]

Taking the Inverse Fourier Cosine Transform,

[tex]u(x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{0} cos(\lambda x) \left[\int^{t}_{0} -c^{2}sin (\lambda c (\tau-t)) \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}g(\lambda,\tau) d\tau \right] d\lambda[/tex]
[tex]= -c^{2}{\frac{2}{\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{0} cos(\lambda x) \left[\int^{t}_{0} sin (\lambda c (\tau-t))}g(\lambda,\tau) d\tau \right] d\lambda[/tex]

and this is where I am stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that only makes use of the regular Fourier Transform, and not the Fourier Cosine Transform.

with the answer please ?

1) u(t-2)*δ(1-t)

2) X(w)=e^-2|w| / (1-jw)
x1(t)=x(2-t)
X1(w)= ?3) x[n]=u[n] ; x(0) = ?4)Θ = -aw
x(t) = cos100 πt
Y(t) = sin100 πt
a=?

5) one side laplase
Y(s)=[1+x(s)] / [s+3]

6) Θ = -3w
y(t)=?

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier sine transform?

The Fourier sine transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent sine waves. It is similar to the Fourier transform, but only considers the odd components of the function.

2. How is the Fourier sine transform used in the Wave Equation?

The Wave Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves. The Fourier sine transform is used to solve this equation by transforming it into an algebraic equation in the frequency domain.

3. What are the advantages of using the Fourier sine transform for the Wave Equation?

The Fourier sine transform simplifies the solution of the Wave Equation by reducing it to an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve. It also allows for the separation of variables, making it possible to solve more complex systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier sine transform for the Wave Equation?

One limitation of the Fourier sine transform is that it can only be applied to functions that are odd and periodic. It also requires the function to be continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier sine transform for the Wave Equation?

The Fourier sine transform is commonly used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and signal processing to solve problems related to wave propagation. It is also used in image and signal compression, as well as in solving boundary value problems in engineering and physics.