Inhomogeneous damped wave equation

• Thread starter bobred
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2u_{t}(x,t)-u_{xx}(x,t)=18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/tex]
Boundary conditions
[tex]u(0,t)=u(l,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]l<\pi[/tex]
Initial conditions
[tex]u(x,0)=u_t(x,0)=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
The general inhomogeneous damped wave equation is
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2\mu u_{t}(x,t)-c^{2}u_{xx}(x,t)=p(x,t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By separation of variables the position dependent part is
[tex]f(x)=a\cos(kx)+b\sin(kx)[/tex]
and the time dependent part auxilliary equation is
[tex]\lambda^2+2\mu\lambda+\omega^2=0[/tex]
which takes one of three expressions depending on the sign of [itex]\mu-\omega[/itex]

So from what is given I would say [itex]\mu=1[/itex] and [itex]c^2=1[/itex] and with
[itex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/itex] and [itex]l<\pi[/itex] then [itex]\mu<\omega[/itex] which is weak damping

[tex]g_{n}(t)=\left(A_{n}\cos\left(\Omega t\right)+B_{n}\sin\left(\Omega t\right)\right)e^{-\mu t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Omega=\sqrt{\omega^{2}-\mu^{2}}[/tex]

Is this correct so far?

Answers and Replies

stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author

Homework Statement

Solve
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2u_{t}(x,t)-u_{xx}(x,t)=18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/tex]
Boundary conditions
[tex]u(0,t)=u(l,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]l<\pi[/tex]
Initial conditions
[tex]u(x,0)=u_t(x,0)=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
The general inhomogeneous damped wave equation is
[tex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2\mu u_{t}(x,t)-c^{2}u_{xx}(x,t)=p(x,t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By separation of variables the position dependent part is
[tex]f(x)=a\cos(kx)+b\sin(kx)[/tex]
and the time dependent part auxilliary equation is
[tex]\lambda^2+2\mu\lambda+\omega^2=0[/tex]
which takes one of three expressions depending on the sign of [itex]\mu-\omega[/itex]

So from what is given I would say [itex]\mu=1[/itex] and [itex]c^2=1[/itex] and with
[itex]\omega=\frac{\pi n c}{l}[/itex] and [itex]l<\pi[/itex] then [itex]\mu<\omega[/itex] which is weak damping

[tex]g_{n}(t)=\left(A_{n}\cos\left(\Omega t\right)+B_{n}\sin\left(\Omega t\right)\right)e^{-\mu t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Omega=\sqrt{\omega^{2}-\mu^{2}}[/tex]

Is this correct so far?
I think you're on the right track, but separation of variables is mostly useful for homogeneous partial differential equations. Here's a trick to solving the inhomogeneous case:

You want a solution to [itex]u_{tt}(x,t)+2u_{t}(x,t)-u_{xx}(x,t)=18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/itex]

Try writing [itex]u(x,t) = A(x,t) + B(x)[/itex] and choose [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] so that:

[itex]A_{tt}(x,t)+2A_{t}(x,t)-A_{xx}(x,t)=0[/itex]

[itex]-B_{xx}(x) = 18\sin\left(\dfrac{3\pi x}{l}\right)[/itex]

Then the approach you're describing will give you a solution to [itex]A(x,t)[/itex]

Likes bobred
Hi, thanks, that's great but we are asked to solve the homogeneous part by separation of variables first. Is what I have done ok? Is it weak damping?

stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi, thanks, that's great but we are asked to solve the homogeneous part by separation of variables first. Is what I have done ok? Is it weak damping?
Yes, you have the solution to the homogeneous equation (except for the constants [itex]A_n[/itex] and [itex]B_n[/itex]). Comparing with your original equation, [itex]\mu = 1[/itex] and [itex]c=1[/itex]

Likes bobred
Thanks, I wanted confirmation I had the right damping.

So with the boundary conditions the general solution of the homogeneous equation is
[tex]u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_{n}\sin(kx)\left(A_{n}\cos\left(\Omega t\right)+B_{n}\sin\left(\Omega t\right)\right)e^{- t}[/tex]
My course text is a bit confusing but to get the particular solution should I start with
[tex]u(x,t)=\sin\left( k_nx \right)g(t) [/tex] and then solve
[tex]g^{\prime\prime}+2g^\prime+\omega^2_ng=18\sin\left( \frac{3\pi x}{l} \right)[/tex]