1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of an assumed solution to a propagating wave

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1
    We have a wave ψ(x,z,t). At t = 0 we can assume the wave to have the solution (and shape)

ψ = Q*exp[-i(kx)]
    where k = wavenumber, i = complex number

The property for a Fourier transform of a time shift (t-τ) is

FT[f(t-τ)] = f(ω)*exp[-i(ωτ)]

Now, assume ψ(x,z,t) is shifted in time. Thus, ψ(x,z,t) = P(x,z,t-τ). And I want to express the shifted version of ψ (i.e. P) in the frequency domain. Me myself think this is done as:

FT[P(x,z,t-τ)] = Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx)]*exp[-i(ωτ)] = Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx - ωτ)]

Though, my teacher claims that, when we assume the solution to be Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx - ωτ)], we have not necessarily transformed the it into the Fourier domain yet. He says that this solution can be given to a wave in the spatial-time domain as well.
    I claim, and think that we have transformed it! But, I guess that my teacher is right and I am wrong.

So please, could you guide me through my confusion here?

PS. Hope the explanation of my question is good enough. Otherwise, ask me :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hey! Correct me if I am wrong but you are trying to get the fourier transform of ψ(x,z,t-T)? but you solved for ψ(x,z,t-T), where t=0, or ψ(x,z,T). Or is that what you are trying to do?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook