Fourier transform of Bessel function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the result from part (a) to obtain the Fourier transform of the Bessel function J_0(x). The student is struggling with finding the FT of J_0(x) and seeks help from the instructor. The instructor suggests using the Fourier inversion theorem and the hint about the even nature of the Bessel function. The student eventually figures it out and the conversation ends with the instructor mentioning using rules for derivatives of Fourier transforms to find the FT of a similar function.
bobred

Homework Statement

Noting that [itex]J_0(k)[/itex] is an even function of [itex]k[/itex], use the result of part (a) to
obtain the Fourier transform of the Bessel function [itex]J_0(x)[/itex].

Homework Equations

In (a) I am asked to show that the Fourier transform of
[tex]f(x)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]
is
[tex]\tilde{f}(k)=\sqrt{\pi/2}J_0(-k)[/tex]
where
[tex]J_0(x)=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} e^{i x \cos \theta}d \theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the Fourier transform of [itex]f(x)[/itex] using trig substitution I just can't see how to get the FT of [itex]J_0(x)[/itex].
Any hints as to where I should begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you heard of the Fourier inversion theorem?
Make use of that, and the hint that question provided about the even nature of the Bessel function.

Likes bobred
Hi
I went over my notes a few times and got it.
Thanks

Considering the second derivative of
png.latex?J_0%28x%29.png
show the Fourier transform of
png.latex?J_2%28x%29.png
is

D_2%28x%29=%5Csqrt%7B%5Cfrac%7B2%7D%7B%5Cpi%7D%7D%5Cfrac%7B1-2k%5E2%7D%7B%5Csqrt%7B1-k%5E2%7D%7D.png

I have done similar for
png.latex?J_1%28x%29.png
using rules for derivatives of Fourier transforms but can't see where to start, where the numerator
png.latex?1-2k%5E2.png
comes from.

1. What is the Fourier transform of Bessel function?

The Fourier transform of Bessel function is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to its representation in the frequency domain. It is represented by a complex integral involving the Bessel function.

2. Why is the Fourier transform of Bessel function useful?

The Fourier transform of Bessel function is useful in many areas of mathematics and engineering, particularly in solving differential equations involving Bessel functions. It is also used in signal processing and image processing, where it allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals in the frequency domain.

3. How is the Fourier transform of Bessel function calculated?

The Fourier transform of Bessel function can be calculated using the formula: F(k) = ∫ f(t)Jn(kt)e^(-iwt)dt, where f(t) is the original function, Jn(kt) is the Bessel function, k is the frequency variable, and w is the angular frequency. This integral can be solved using various techniques, such as integration by parts or the Laplace transform.

4. What are the properties of the Fourier transform of Bessel function?

The Fourier transform of Bessel function has many properties that are similar to the Fourier transform of other functions. These include linearity, time and frequency shifting, convolution, and differentiation. It also has a unique property known as the Bessel convolution theorem, which states that the Fourier transform of a convolution of two functions is equal to the product of their individual Fourier transforms.

5. Can the Fourier transform of Bessel function be inverted?

Yes, the Fourier transform of Bessel function can be inverted using the inverse Fourier transform formula: f(t) = ∫ F(k)Jn(kt)e^(iwt)dk. This allows for the reconstruction of the original function from its representation in the frequency domain. However, the inverse transform may not always exist for certain functions, and in some cases, numerical methods may be required to approximate the inverse transform.