Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}##

In summary, the first equation is simplified by reversing the order of the integrals, and the second equation is simplified by taking the derivative with respect to time of the real part of the first equation.
schniefen
Homework Statement
Find the Fourier transform of ##f(t)=e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}##, where ##a## and ##b## are positive constants.
Relevant Equations
I use the convention ##\tilde{f}(\omega)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)e^{-i\omega t} \mathrm{d}t##. Also, I can use the fact that ##f(t)=-i\Theta(t)e^{-i\omega_0 t-\gamma t}## has Fourier transform ##\tilde{f}(\omega)=\frac{1}{\omega-\omega_0+i\gamma}##, although this is not explicitly hinted at.
First,

##\tilde{f}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{a|t|}\cos(bt)e^{-i\omega t} \mathrm{d}t##​

We can get rid of the absolute value by splitting the integral up

##\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{at}\cos(bt)e^{-i\omega t} \mathrm{d}t+ \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-at}\cos(bt)e^{-i\omega t} \mathrm{d}t##
Using ##\cos(x)=\frac12(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})##, the first integral reduces to

##\frac12\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{at}(e^{ibt}+e^{-ibt})e^{-i\omega t}\mathrm{d}t=\frac12\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{t(a+i(b-\omega))}\mathrm{d}t+\frac12\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{t(a+i(-b-\omega))}\mathrm{d}t ##​

My strategy then is to rewrite the two integrands on the form ##-i\Theta(t)e^{-i\omega_0 t-\gamma t}## and use the known formula, as given under Relevant equations. Is this an approach you would have taken?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are completely justified in carrying out the integration just as you would if you were to integrate ## \int e^{at} \ dt ##, without resorting to a formula for the F.T. Consider the Euler formula ## e^{ix}=\cos{x}+i \sin{x} ## for the details for making the integration valid when complex numbers are involved. Edit: e.g. You can use the complex numbers to do the integration, and then verify that it gives the correct result for ## \int e^{-at} \cos(bt) \, dt ## by taking the derivative of the real part of the result you get for ## \int e^{-at} e^{ibt} \, dt ##, and see that you do indeed get ## e^{-at} \cos(bt) ##.

See also https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...le-of-emitted-radiation.1048791/#post-6839518
for a recent homework posting that is somewhat related.

Last edited:
Likes schniefen
schniefen said:
##\frac12\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{at}(e^{ibt}+e^{-ibt})e^{-i\omega t}\mathrm{d}t=\frac12\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{t(a+i(b-\omega))}\mathrm{d}t+\frac12\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{t(a+i(-b-\omega))}\mathrm{d}t ##

My strategy then is to rewrite the two integrands on the form ##-i\Theta(t)e^{-i\omega_0 t-\gamma t}## and use the known formula, as given under Relevant equations. Is this an approach you would have taken?
Starting from two integrals in the last line, change intgral variables from ##t## to ##-t## so that integrand become ##[0,+\infty)##.
Then you may write it
[tex]\int_0^{+\infty} g_k(t)dt = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} g_k(t)\theta (t) dt[/tex]
where
[tex]g_1(t)=e^{-ta-i(b-\omega)t}[/tex]
[tex]g_2(t)=e^{-ta-i(-b-\omega)t}[/tex]
so that you may make use of what you prepared.

Likes schniefen

What is the Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}##?

The Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}## is given by ##\frac{2a}{(a^2+b^2)^2}##.

What is the significance of the Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}##?

The Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}## is used in signal processing and image analysis to decompose a signal into its frequency components.

How is the Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}## calculated?

The Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}## can be calculated using the formula ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|t|}\cos{(bt)}e^{-i\omega t} dt##, where ##\omega## is the frequency variable.

What is the relationship between the Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}## and the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform and inverse Fourier transform are closely related, with the inverse Fourier transform being the integral of the Fourier transform over all frequencies. In the case of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}##, the inverse Fourier transform would give back the original signal.

What happens to the Fourier transform of ##e^{-a |t|}\cos{(bt)}## as the parameters a and b change?

As the parameters a and b change, the shape of the Fourier transform also changes. Specifically, as a increases, the peak of the Fourier transform becomes narrower and taller, while as b increases, the peak shifts to higher frequencies.