Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of function of a complex variable

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    Can anyone point me to some material on applying the fourier transform to the case of an analytic function of one complex variable?

I've tried to generalize it myself, but I want to see if I'm overlooking some important things. I've started by writing the analytic function with

u + iv where u and v satisfy the cauchy riemann equations. I'm tempted to start by saying that to take the fourier transform of u + iv, simply take the fourier transform of u and v in the usual way for a function of two variables.

Usually you would have something like u(x,y) → μ(k1, k2) and similarly for v(x,y) → γ(k1, k2)

However, applying the cauchy riemann equations necessarily sets k2 = i k1
    and
    which implies that the fourier transform of the full analytic function is simply
    μ(k1, k2) =μ(k1)δ(k2 - ik1) = iγ(k1, k2) = iγ(k1)δ(k2 - ik1)

(the δ(k2 - ik1) is just the dirac delta function, which I'm hoping is okay to use even with a complex argument.)

u + iv = ∫dk[2μ(k)]eik(x +iy) = ∫dkdx'dy'2e-i(k(x' - x +i(y'-y))) u(x,y)

μ(k) = ∫dxdy e-ik(x +iy) u(x,y)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2
    Update: I am getting that a fourier transform is possible for the real part and imaginary part of an analytic function iff it is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook