Integral of sinc function using Fourier series

psie
Homework Statement
Show that the Fourier coefficients of $$u(x)=\begin{cases} \frac{\sin x}{x} & 0<|x|\leq\pi, \\ 1 & x=0.\end{cases}$$ are $$c_n=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{(n-1)\pi}^{(n+1)\pi}\frac{\sin x}{x}dx.$$ Use this to evaluate ##\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x} x dx##.
Relevant Equations
I'm not sure.
Showing that the (complex) Fourier coefficients of ##u(x)## are as specified is a simple exercise, which I've managed to do, but how do I then go about evaluating ##\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x} x dx##? The coefficients do not have an explicit formula, right? Note, the Fourier transform has not been introduced yet. I thought this has something to do with Riemann-Lebesgue's lemma or even Parseval's identity, but probably I'm mistaken.

Physics news on Phys.org
By evenness of [itex]\sin x/x[/itex], [tex]\begin{split}
\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x}x\,dx &= \frac12 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx \end{split}.[/tex] To evaluate the right hand side, one can either split the real line into intervals of width [itex]2\pi[/itex] centered at even multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] or into intervals of width [itex]2\pi[/itex] centered at odd multiplies of [itex]\pi[/itex]. The results must be the same*, so [tex]
\begin{split}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin x}x\,dx &= \frac12 \left(\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{((2n)-1)\pi}^{((2n)+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx
+ \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{((2n+1)-1)\pi}^{((2n+1)+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx \right) \end{split}[/tex]

*Assuming the integral exists, which I don't believe this method establishes.

Likes psie
pasmith said:
Which integral do you mean?

If I understand you right, this is your argument: ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_n## is just the function evaluated at ##0##, so we have $$1=\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_{2n}+\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z}c_{2n+1}=\frac{2}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin x} x dx.$$ And by evenness, we conclude that ##\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x} xdx=\frac{\pi}{2}##.

I assume you mean $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin x} x dx.$$ In my computation above it seems like we require ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_n## to converge absolutely, so that one can rearrange the series and sum the even terms first and then the odd one's, or vice versa.

I think I take back the requirement of absolute convergence. If ##\sum_{k\geq} a_k## converges, we can always write $$\sum_{k\geq 1}a_k = \sum_{k\geq 1}(a_{2k}+a_{2k-1}),$$ but not $$\sum_{k\geq 1}a_k = \sum_{k\geq 1}a_{2k}+\sum_{k\geq 1}a_{2k-1}.$$ Here, however, we can write the series in the latter form, since, assuming that ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin x} x dx## converges, we have that ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_{2n}## and ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z}c_{2n+1}## both converge.

pasmith said:
By evenness of [itex]\sin x/x[/itex], [tex]\begin{split}
\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x}x\,dx &= \frac12 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx \end{split}.[/tex] To evaluate the right hand side, one can either split the real line into intervals of width [itex]2\pi[/itex] centered at even multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] or into intervals of width [itex]2\pi[/itex] centered at odd multiplies of [itex]\pi[/itex]. The results must be the same*, so [tex]
\begin{split}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin x}x\,dx &= \frac12 \left(\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{((2n)-1)\pi}^{((2n)+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx
+ \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{((2n+1)-1)\pi}^{((2n+1)+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx \right) \end{split}[/tex]

I'm confused. Could you clarify what you are suggesting on how to evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin x} x dx##? I don't see how this is possible unless we have absolute convergence of ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_n##.

It is easier to justify if one starts from [tex]\begin{split}
\sum_{n=-N}^N c_n &= \sum_{n=-N}^N \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{(n-1)\pi}^{(n+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx \\
&= \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-(N+1)\pi}^{-N\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx + \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-N\pi}^{N\pi} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx + \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{N\pi}^{(N+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx \\
&= \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{N\pi} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx + \frac1\pi \int_{N\pi}^{(N+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx\end{split}[/tex] so that [tex]
\left| \sum_{n=-N}^N c_n - \frac2\pi \int_0^{N\pi} \frac{\sin x}x\,dx \right| = \left|\frac 1\pi \int_{N\pi}^{(N+1)\pi} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx \right| \leq \frac 1\pi \int_{N\pi}^{(N+1)\pi} \frac 1x\,dx = \frac1\pi \log\left(1 + \frac 1N \right).[/tex]

Likes psie