Fourier Transform of General Solution for PDE u_{t}= u_{xx} - u

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
leopard
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Find the Fourier transform [tex]\hat{u}(w,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty}u(x,t)e^{(-ixw)}dx[/tex] of the general solution u(x,t) of the PDE [tex]u_{t}= u_{xx} - u[/tex]

Should I start by solving the PDE, or is there another way to do it?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The PDE is much easier to solve when Fourier transformed (it becomes an ODE), so first write [itex]u[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat u[/itex], plug into the PDE, and solve.
 
[tex]u(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int^{\infty}_{- \infty}\hat{u}(w,t)e^{(+ixw)}dw[/tex]

This is the inverse of the Fourier transform.
 
How can i find the inverse when I don't know u?

My book says that the Fourier transform of the PDE is

[tex]U_t = -w^2 U - U[/tex]

How is that achieved?
 
First of all, [itex]U=\hat u[/itex].

To get your book's equation, first substitute the formula for [itex]u[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat u[/itex] (that I gave in my last response) into the original PDE. What do you get?