1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of the Wave Eq.

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    Given;

[tex]
    \frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}}
    [/tex]

and;

[tex]
    u(x,0) = \phi (x)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d^{2}u(x,0)}{dt^{2}} = \theta(x)
    [/tex]

Show that the Fourier Transform of the u(x,t) w.r.t. to x is;

[tex]
    \tilde{u}(k,t) = \tilde{\phi} (k) cos(ckt) + \frac{\tilde{\theta(k)}}{ck} sin(ckt)
    [/tex]

My attempt at the question

Well I know I can FT both sides in the following way;

[tex]
    \tilde{F}[ \frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \tilde{F}[ \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}} ]
    [/tex]

L.H.S.

[tex]
    \tilde{F}[ \frac{d}{dx} \frac{du}{dx} ] = ik \tilde{F}[ \frac{du}{dt} ]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \therefore
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \tilde{F}[ \frac{d}{dx} \frac{du}{dx} ] = -k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ]
    [/tex]

Where i was the imaginary number i. Thus leaving me with;

[tex]
    -k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \tilde{F}[ \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}} ]
    [/tex]

From here I'm not sure what to do (to be frank I'm not even sure I know precisely what the questuon is asking so bear with me). Oh the d's should be partial derivatives, hence I reason that because t is just a parameter value I can take the second derivative out of the R.H.S. of the last eq. thus leaving me with an F;

[tex]
    -k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}} \tilde{F}[ u ]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    -k^{2}c^{2} = \frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}
    [/tex]

Which looks so tantilisingly close to the wave equation it appears be on the right track. Of course I want the wave equation because I know that the general solution is given in terms of a sum of a sin and cos wave;

[tex]
    \tilde{u}(k,t) = A cos(kct) + B sin(kct)
    [/tex]

Now because k is the my fourier coeffecient. I guess that makes the second time derivative 1 equation back on the R.H.S. one with respect to k. Hence why I can write the above equation. Yes or no?

If Yes, how do I present a mathamatical argument that get's me from my A and B constants to the functions of theta and phi?

If no, why is this wrong, and how do I go about getting to the solution?

Thanks.

PS: Why aren't the formula coming up quite right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This is a differential equation you can solve for [itex]\tilde{u}(k,t)[/itex], giving you...
    where A and B don't depend on t but can depend on k. So now use the initial conditions to determine what A and B are.

4. May 9, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is this really supposed to be the second derivative? I think it should be only the first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook