Calculate Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the Fourier transform of a function with the form (1+at^2)^-n, where n is a natural number greater than 1 and a is any positive number. The method of contour integration is suggested for specific small values of n, but finding a general solution is still being worked on.
kbrijesh
how to get the Fourier transform of (1+at^2)^-n ? n is a natural number such that (n>1) and a is any positive number.

i.e. ∫((1+at^2)^-n)*exp(-jωt)dt; limits of integration goes from -∞ to ∞

Physics news on Phys.org
kbrijesh said:
how to get the Fourier transform of (1+at^2)^-n ? n is a natural number such that (n>1) and a is any positive number.

i.e. ∫((1+at^2)^-n)*exp(-jωt)dt; limits of integration goes from -∞ to ∞

You can do it via contour integration for specific small n but not sure for general n. But first, look at a simple case:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-i\omega t}}{(1+2t^2)^2}dt[/tex]

Now that can be solved by the Residue Theorem. First get that one straight, then go on to n=3, maybe 4, then try and come up with an expression for the general case.

jackmell said:
You can do it via contour integration for specific small n but not sure for general n. But first, look at a simple case:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-i\omega t}}{(1+2t^2)^2}dt[/tex]

Now that can be solved by the Residue Theorem. First get that one straight, then go on to n=3, maybe 4, then try and come up with an expression for the general case.

Yes, you are true. Even using contour integration we can do it upto n=3. But I am y\trying to get a generalized solution.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

1. What is the equation for calculating the Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n?

The equation for calculating the Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n is F(w) = √(2π/a) * (1/2a)^n * Γ(n+1/2) * e^(-w^2/4a), where Γ(n+1/2) is the gamma function.

2. What does each term in the equation represent?

The term √(2π/a) represents the normalization factor, (1/2a)^n represents the scaling factor, Γ(n+1/2) represents the shape of the curve, and e^(-w^2/4a) represents the damping factor.

3. How does the value of 'n' affect the Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n?

The value of 'n' affects the shape of the curve in the Fourier Transform. As 'n' increases, the curve becomes wider and flatter. As 'n' decreases, the curve becomes narrower and taller.

4. Can the Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n be calculated for negative values of 'n'?

No, the Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n is only defined for positive values of 'n'.

5. How does the value of 'a' affect the Fourier Transform of (1+at^2)^-n?

The value of 'a' affects the scale of the curve in the Fourier Transform. As 'a' increases, the curve becomes narrower and taller. As 'a' decreases, the curve becomes wider and flatter.