Fourier's method, division by zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Separation of Variables/Fourier's method to solve a BVP for a vibrating string. The method involves dividing the equation by the assumed solution in separable form, u(x,t)=X(x)T(t), which may take on the value zero at certain points. This division is justified because the solution cannot be zero everywhere and all the time, and leads to separate equations for T(t) and X(x) to solve.
usn7564

Homework Statement

Solve the BVP for a vibrating string with Separation of Variables/Fourier's method.

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2}{\partial ^2 t} u(x,t) = c^2 \frac{\partial ^2}{\partial ^2 x} u(x,t)[/tex]

The string is of length L with each end fixed, ie u(0,t) = u(L,t) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do Fourier's method but have a query regarding separation of variables. I make the assumption u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) for some functions X and T and then divide the LHS and RHS by X(x)T(t) to find that both are constant etcetc, but this step has me confused.

Right so X(x)T(t) can't be 0 along the whole string because that would just be a trivial solution so the division is warranted, or that's how I remember being taught it in any case. But won't the string pass u(x,t) = 0? [just thinking physically it kind of has to if the coordinate system is set at u(x,t) = 0 when the string is simply at rest and stretched out, and IIRC the solutions do allow for it]. In that case either X(x) or T(t) will be zero at certain x / certain t so aren't we disregarding any solution that has the string going past u(x,t) = 0 by doing this division?

In short, we divide by X(x)T(t) which takes on the value zero at certain (x, t). Why can we do this?

I'm guessing it's rather simple but can't wrap my head around it, would appreciate some explaining thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
usn7564 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do Fourier's method but have a query regarding separation of variables. I make the assumption u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) for some functions X and T and then divide the LHS and RHS by X(x)T(t) to find that both are constant etcetc, but this step has me confused.You do not need to divide by zero.
Right so X(x)T(t) can't be 0 along the whole string because that would just be a trivial solution so the division is warranted, or that's how I remember being taught it in any case. But won't the string pass u(x,t) = 0? [just thinking physically it kind of has to if the coordinate system is set at u(x,t) = 0 when the string is simply at rest and stretched out, and IIRC the solutions do allow for it]. In that case either X(x) or T(t) will be zero at certain x / certain t so aren't we disregarding any solution that has the string going past u(x,t) = 0 by doing this division?

In short, we divide by X(x)T(t) which takes on the value zero at certain (x, t). Why can we do this?

I'm guessing it's rather simple but can't wrap my head around it, would appreciate some explaining thank you.

If you search the solution in separable form, u(x,t)=X(x)T(t) and do the differentiations, you get the equation T" X = c2 T X". You might want solutions for which T"=AT and X"=BX holds, with A and B constants. So ATX-c2BTX = TX(A-c2B)=0 for all x and t. TX might be zero, but not everywhere and all time. As TX is not zero for all t and x, A-c2B = 0 must hold.

Now you have the equations T"(t)=AT(t) and X"(x)=BX(x) to solve.

1. What is Fourier's method?

Fourier's method, also known as the Fourier transform, is a mathematical technique used to express a function as a sum of periodic components. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

2. How does Fourier's method work?

Fourier's method works by breaking down a complex function into simpler components, or sinusoidal waves, using a mathematical tool called the Fourier series. These components are then combined to reconstruct the original function.

3. Can Fourier's method be used to solve division by zero?

No, Fourier's method is a mathematical tool used for function analysis and reconstruction. It cannot be used to solve division by zero, as division by zero is undefined in mathematics.

4. Why is division by zero not allowed in mathematics?

Division by zero is not allowed in mathematics because it leads to contradictions and inconsistencies. It breaks the fundamental rules of arithmetic and can result in undefined or infinite values.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Fourier's method?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of Fourier's method, including signal processing in telecommunications, image and sound compression, and data compression in computer algorithms. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance for data analysis and modeling.