Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor: any opinions?

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just came upon this sensor, in a new(?) camera by Sigma. It seems to be a clever idea. As anyone here got any special knowledge of the device or the technology? It solves a number of problems but, no doubt, introduces some new ones. Incredibly high res!!
    I will stick with Pentax until I become very rich - enough to make a change of lenses- so I have no Interest in the company or the device.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't know much about these things, but there seems to be a lot of marketing bs in there. For instance, the statement
    is a stretch considering that
    sounds functionallly equivalent to filtering.

4. Sep 28, 2016 #3
    The camera may be new but the Fovean type of sensor has been around for a while now and never seemed to make significant inroads into the marketplace. Not sure if that's due to the sensor itself or Sigma's implementation of the sensor in their cameras. They certainly have come up with some nice lenses recently.

5. Sep 28, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it has to be because, if the blue sensor is using all the available light then it is 'filtering it out' as to goes through. But I think the point is that the whole available area of the sensor is available for each colour of sensor. It's almost as if the copy writer has missed the point.
    Sigma:
    They have always had some pretty good high end lenses. At several £k, some of them are pretty popular with the big boys. Their regular lenses seem to be at least as good as the main camera manufacturers' kit lenses.

6. Sep 28, 2016 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've been aware of the foveon chip since it came out in the late 1990s. Seems fantastic, not sure why it has yet to penetrate the market.

7. Oct 4, 2016 #6

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Some practical reasons that have been given:
    - The color layers are not so orthogonal in response, hence some tricks need to be applied to get good color, hence reduction in the relative noise advantage
    - Less aggressive development relative to Bayer sensors, leading to reduction in other Foveon advantages such as the inherent resolution advantage
    - Sigma is not one of the "big" brands

8. Oct 5, 2016 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess they have the same problem as with colour film, with its layers. But the foveon layers are not 'use once and throw away', as with cheap film so Sigma can afford to make it work better. I remember working on colour Telecine systems and it was a nightmare to get good enough colour for TV. Each stock was different. Pictures that would look fine for visual viewing would be totally mangled when passing through the PAL TV analysis and display.

9. Oct 5, 2016 #8

olivermsun

Science Advisor

At this point in the evolution of Foveon, the output colors (and everything else) look great. The noise performance just isn't up there with the best conventional sensors, despite using "all" the area for all 3 colors channels.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted