FPGA Reconfiguration using 2 processors.

• Thread starter badfate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fpga
In summary, the speaker has been working on reconfiguration using a single soft core for 8 months and now needs help with using 2 cores. They are using a FPGA board with a PPC hardcore and a microblaze softcore, and are looking for methods of partial reconfiguration using both processors. They mention using a soft core processor to monitor the bit file execution on the FPGA, and are open to using 2 soft cores if not the PPC. They also mention using a Xilinx Virtex 5 board.
badfate
Hello,

I've been working on the topic since 8 months and different types of reconfiguration using single soft core is done. I need some help on the procedure as well as theory about using 2 cores.

On the FPGA board that i use, there is PPC hardcore and microblaze softcore.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about communication between the two cores (one in fpga and one external)? I'm not sure why you are referring to reconfiguration. I understand reconfiguration as loading a new fpga configuration. Are you doing this dynamically? Again, Your question is not clear.

Yes, its done dynamically(without resetting the system, you change a command on hyperterminal/ using a controlling switch on FPGA or give some delay so that the bit file hence functionality changes automatically).

I'm using soft core processor for writing the controlling code that monitors the bit file execution on FPGA. But there exists PPC hardcore on FPGA itself which i haven't used. I want to explore different methods of partial reconfiguration using both the processors.

I ll be glad if anyone can help me with even 2 soft cores if not PPC.

BTW, the board I'm using is Xilinx, virtex 5 s/w, 12.4

I have never done any partial reconfiguration. Sorry

I want to use both of them for reconfiguration purposes.

Hello there,

I find your work on FPGA reconfiguration using a single soft core very interesting. Using multiple processors for reconfiguration can potentially enhance the speed and efficiency of the process. However, the procedure and theory for utilizing two cores may differ from using a single core.

One approach could be to divide the reconfiguration process into two parts and assign each core with a specific task. For example, one core can handle the data processing and the other can focus on the actual reconfiguration of the FPGA. This can potentially reduce the overall time required for reconfiguration.

In terms of theory, using multiple cores may require synchronization and communication between the two processors. This can be achieved through inter-processor communication protocols such as AXI or shared memory. Additionally, the choice of which core to use for a particular task may also depend on factors such as processor speed and available resources.

I suggest conducting further research on multi-core FPGA reconfiguration and exploring different approaches to utilizing two processors for this purpose. Good luck with your work!

What is FPGA reconfiguration and why is it necessary?

FPGA reconfiguration refers to the process of changing the hardware configuration of a field-programmable gate array (FPGA) device. This allows the device to be reprogrammed for different applications or to fix errors without having to physically replace the hardware. It is necessary because it provides flexibility and cost-effectiveness in implementing different functionalities on a single device.

How does FPGA reconfiguration using 2 processors work?

FPGA reconfiguration using 2 processors involves using two processors, one for controlling the reconfiguration process and the other for executing the reconfiguration bitstream. The controlling processor sends commands to the executing processor, which then loads the new bitstream onto the FPGA. This allows for faster and more efficient reconfiguration compared to using a single processor.

What are the advantages of using 2 processors for FPGA reconfiguration?

Using 2 processors for FPGA reconfiguration offers several advantages. Firstly, it allows for parallel processing, which reduces the time needed for reconfiguration. Additionally, it frees up the main processor for other tasks, increasing overall system performance. It also provides redundancy in case one processor fails, ensuring reliable reconfiguration.

Are there any limitations to using 2 processors for FPGA reconfiguration?

While using 2 processors for FPGA reconfiguration has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is the added complexity and cost of implementing a dual-processor system. Additionally, the performance benefits may vary depending on the specific application and the capabilities of the processors used.

What are the potential applications of FPGA reconfiguration using 2 processors?

FPGA reconfiguration using 2 processors can be applied in a wide range of fields, including telecommunications, automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics. It can be used for implementing multiple functions on a single device, creating adaptable systems for changing environments, and reducing time-to-market for new products. It also has potential applications in research and development for prototyping and testing different hardware configurations.