Fraction of electrons removed from a charged copper ball

  • Thread starter Thread starter mysticbms
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrons Fraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
mysticbms
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 50.0 g ball of copper has a net charge of 2.00µC. What fraction of the copper’s electrons has been removed? (Each copper atom has 29 protons, and copper has an atomic mass of 63.5.)

Homework Equations


1.00 C× (1proton)/(1.60×10^−19C)=6.25×10^18 protons
C = coloumb, the SI unit of charge

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know where to begin. I haven't taken Chemistry in a long time so I'm pretty stumped.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mysticbms said:

Homework Statement


A 50.0 g ball of copper has a net charge of 2.00µC. What fraction of the copper’s electrons has been removed? (Each copper atom has 29 protons, and copper has an atomic mass of 63.5.)

Homework Equations


1.00 C× (1proton)/(1.60×10^−19C)=6.25×10^18 protons
C = coloumb, the SI unit of charge

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know where to begin. I haven't taken Chemistry in a long time so I'm pretty stumped.
How many copper atoms are there in 63.5 grams of copper?
 
The atomic mass tells you the number of grams making up a mole of a substance. A mole is a specific number of particles (look up Avogadro's Number). So start by determining how many atoms comprise the 50.0 g ball of copper.EDIT: Beaten to the punch by SammyS!