Fredholm equation of the second kind

• Thread starter danbone87
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for help with a homework question related to functional linearity and a Fredholm equation of the second kind. They are unsure if this is what is being asked, but they assume that it is because they have not found any examples that they can work off of. They need to find the equation of a low order polynomial and solve for x.
danbone87

Homework Statement

I need to prove that a Fredholm equation of the second kind is functionally linear.

I'm not sure what functional linearity is or if that's exactly what is being asked because it's not in my numerical analysis book and everytime i look on the internet I'm referred to linear algebra.

Can someone get me on the right track as far as what I'm actually looking to prove?edit: I also need to solve a fredholm eqn of the second kind analytically. Hint: my result should contain a low order polynomial.

it is y(x) = x + integral[0,1](x^2*t)y(t)dt

every example i see is numerical integration. so i couldn't find any examples to work off of.
should i do integration by parts on the integrand and then set up a differential equation involving Y(t) and y(x) and then solve with a characteristic polynomial?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saying that an operator, U(f), is "functionally linear" means that U(af+ bg)= aU(f)+ bU(g) where f and g are functions and a and b are numbers.

The equation you are asked to solve is [itex]y(x)= x+ \int_0^1 x^2ty(t)dt= x+ x^2\int_0^1 ty(t)dt[/itex].

If you let [itex]A= \int_0^1 ty(t)dt[/itex], a number, then your equation is simply y(x)= x+ Ax2. that's the "low order polynomial" you mention. You only need to determine what A is. Multiply on both sides by x to get xy(x)= x2+ Ax3 and integrate from 0 to 1. The left side is just X so you get a linear equation to solve for x.

thanks so much that helps everything.

uh, apparently i need the proof in the form of c1y1+c2y2 = f and Lf=y. in this case do i need to use method of undetermined coeffecients with the y(x)=x+ax^2 ?

bump. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The Rock says...

What is the Fredholm equation of the second kind?

The Fredholm equation of the second kind is a type of integral equation that involves an unknown function as both an integral limit and in the integrand. It is named after Swedish mathematician Ivar Fredholm.

What is the difference between the Fredholm equation of the second kind and the first kind?

The main difference between the two types of Fredholm equations is the location of the unknown function in the integrand. In the Fredholm equation of the first kind, the unknown function is in the integrand only, while in the second kind, it is also an integral limit.

What is the significance of the Fredholm equation of the second kind in mathematics?

The Fredholm equation of the second kind is an important tool in the study of integral equations and has applications in many areas of mathematics, including differential equations, functional analysis, and numerical analysis.

What are some methods for solving the Fredholm equation of the second kind?

There are several methods for solving the Fredholm equation of the second kind, including the method of successive approximations, the method of moments, and the collocation method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved.

What are some real-world applications of the Fredholm equation of the second kind?

The Fredholm equation of the second kind has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model diffusion processes, heat transfer, and population growth, among other things.