1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram : Compression and Tension

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    P, Q, R, S are light rods attached to the wall with a force W acting at that point in the figure.
    Please explain whether Compression or Tension is acting on them respectively by using Free body diagram and proper explanation.

Can I resolve W in this way so that we have a force in the direction of P and parellel to R??
    Following that, we know that P is under tension and R is under compression.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

What do you mean by "resolve W"? It is sufficient to look at node A and it's equilibrium conditions.

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    Since you are talking about the FBD, I think you have to draw out a FBD with reaction force at fixed support on the wall in order to explain whether is tension or compression of each members. Not 100% sure though.

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4
    I ain't know if I am right, but I think thinking as if force is fluid and can be shared might help. Like Point B is pushing the rod R upwards, and pulling the rod Q downwards. Point A pulls the rod P towards right, and the point B; this one's little complex. Like it starts from the rod R. The rod R pushes the point B downward, and thus point B compresses the rod S, and pulls the rod Q..

Anyhow, I think you may resolve the problem if try this way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?