1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Body Diagrams & 3rd law pair forces.

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have 2 questions from a practice test paper that I can't do (I missed the lessons) - I've attached them, the other questions I did fine. They should be quite basic but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is right (only done physics for 2 weeks). If anyone could correct my current solutions, and/or help on the others that would be great.

2. The attempt at a solution

In Q1 (a) I put on weight/reaction force on the magnet... and I know that there would be another force acting on it (from the other magnet) but I don't know where to draw it, or what it would be called.

In Q1 (b) I put the reaction to weight, upwards in direction acting on the earth.

In Q2 (a) I drew tension/weight on the pendulum and just weight on the earth.

Q2 (b) I'm not really sure about.

If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for my English, it isn't my first language. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Three forces act on the magnet. What are they and in what direction do they act? What's the third law pair for each force?

On the pendulum, two forces act. For the orbiting earth, how many forces act?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?