How Do Free Electrons Transfer Kinetic Energy in Copper Wires?

In summary, when a voltage is applied to a copper wire, free electrons within the wire begin to move and transfer kinetic energy. These electrons are able to move freely due to the metallic bonds in copper, allowing them to transfer energy through collisions with neighboring atoms. As a result, energy is transferred from one end of the wire to the other, creating an electric current. This process is crucial in the functioning of many electrical devices and systems.
cubozoan
Hi forum

I need to explain the following to pupils of about 17 years of age.

2 questions regarding free electron kinetic energy transfer to copper wire (or resistor) material atoms in an electrical circuit.

1. I am confused as in which situation free electrons in a circuit transfer energy to heat a copper wire. Is it electrons that are free of their atom or electrons that jump to other outer valence bands of (copper wire) atoms?

2. How do free electrons actually transfer energy (kinetic) to (copper wire) atoms? How do they vibrate the copper wire atoms to heat the wire? Do they collide or some other mechanism?

Thank you for your time reading this. I hope I have made myself clear

Regards

Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
cubozoan said:
1. I am confused as in which situation free electrons in a circuit transfer energy to heat a copper wire. Is it electrons that are free of their atom or electrons that jump to other outer valence bands of (copper wire) atoms?

The free electrons are not bound to any single atom, but are instead bound to the metal as a whole. You can think about it as having each metal atom rigidly set in place with a "sea" of free electrons around it. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current#Metals

2. How do free electrons actually transfer energy (kinetic) to (copper wire) atoms? How do they vibrate the copper wire atoms to heat the wire? Do they collide or some other mechanism?

Collisions with the ions.

Thank you for the replies and discussion. I feel some of the content is beyond my understanding.

I think my first question has been answred - they are both a similar thing. In both situations they still belong to a nucleus.

I need help describing how electrons (or a sea of electrons) transfer kinetic energy (being accelerated by electric field within an electrical circuit) to conductor atoms - thus heating conductor and electrons losing kinetic energy themselves

As soon as I posted a reply it seems some previous posts have vanished

cubozoan said:
I think my first question has been answred - they are both a similar thing. In both situations they still belong to a nucleus.

A free electron cannot be said to belong to anyone nucleus. They are being shared between every nucleus in the metal.

I need help describing how electrons (or a sea of electrons) transfer kinetic energy (being accelerated by electric field within an electrical circuit) to conductor atoms - thus heating conductor and electrons losing kinetic energy themselves

Was the explanation that they collide with ions not good enough?

In the relatively simple Drude model, the conduction electrons are treated as classical particles that can collide with the atomic cores. If the electrons are accelerated by an electrical field, the collisions increase the vibration of the atoms and cause heating. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude_model .

In a quantum mechanical treatment, electrons are not seen as classical particles and we talk about electron-phonon scattering as the source of electrical resistivity and heating.

Thank you guys. I wonder if it seems possible to explain QM situation simply?

There is a challenge

What is free electron energy transfer?

Free electron energy transfer is a process in which energy is transferred between atoms or molecules through the movement of free electrons. This occurs when atoms or molecules with excess energy collide with those with lower energy, causing the excess energy to be transferred through the movement of free electrons.

How does free electron energy transfer differ from other forms of energy transfer?

Free electron energy transfer differs from other forms of energy transfer, such as thermal or electromagnetic energy, in that it involves the transfer of energy through the movement of free electrons rather than through heat or electromagnetic waves.

What are some examples of free electron energy transfer?

Some examples of free electron energy transfer include the transfer of energy from a hot metal object to a cooler one through collisions between free electrons, the transfer of energy from the sun to Earth through the movement of free electrons in solar panels, and the transfer of energy in chemical reactions through the movement of free electrons between atoms.

What are the applications of free electron energy transfer?

Free electron energy transfer has various applications in technology and scientific research. It is used in solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, in electronic devices to transfer electrical energy, and in chemical reactions to facilitate energy transfer and produce new compounds.

How does free electron energy transfer contribute to the production of renewable energy?

Free electron energy transfer plays a key role in the production of renewable energy, such as solar and wind energy. In solar panels, free electrons are excited by sunlight and flow through a circuit, generating electricity. In wind turbines, free electrons are produced by the rotation of the blades and are used to generate electricity. Overall, free electron energy transfer helps to reduce our reliance on non-renewable energy sources and contributes to a more sustainable future.