Free expansion of a Van der Waal's Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mathman44
Messages
204
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



There are two vessels connected by a stopper. Both have the same volume. One has "N_a" moles of gas, the other "N_b". Find the expression for the change in temperature when the stopper is opened and the system is allowed to come to a new equilibrium state.


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm supposed to use this equation: [tex]u = C_vT - a/v + const[/tex]

I tried doing this: [tex]dt/dv = (du/dv) / (du/dt)[/tex] were the denominator is just Cv, but that just gave me:

[tex]-a/v^2 * 1/C_v[/tex]

The answer is supposed to look like:

[tex](2n_an_b - n^2_a - n^2_b)*a/(c_v*2V[n_a + n_b])[/tex]

How do I get the # of moles into this expression? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org