1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van der Waal expansion and delivered work

1. Aug 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that one mole of an ideal van der Waals fluid is expanded isothermally, at temperature [itex]T_h[/itex] from an initial volume [itex]V_i[/itex] to a final volume [itex]V_f[/itex]. A thermal reselvoir at temperature [itex]T_c[/itex] is available. Apply [tex]
    dW_{RWS} = \left ( 1 - \frac{T_{RHS}}{T} \right ) (-dQ) +(-dW) [/tex]
    to a differential process and integrate to calculate the work delivered to a reversible work source (RWS). RHS is reversible heat source. Corroborate by overall energy and entropy conservation.

Hint: remember to add the direct work transfer [itex]pdV[/itex] to obtain the total work delivered to the reversible work source.

2. Relevant equations
    Van der Waal equations:
    [tex]
    u + a/v = cRT
    [/tex]
    where [itex]u, a, v, c, R, T[/itex] are, respectively, energy per mole, constant, volume per mole, another constant, temperature.
    [tex]
    p = \frac{RT}{v-b} - \frac{a}{v^2}
    [/tex]

The entropy is
    [tex]
    S = NR\log [ (v-b)(cRT)^c] + Ns_0
    [/tex]
    where [itex]N[/itex] is the number of moles and [itex]b[/itex] is another constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the first equation with [itex]T=T_h, T_{RHS} = T_c[/itex] and [itex]-dW = pdV[/itex] and integrating we get
    [tex]
    W_{RHS} = - \left ( 1- \frac{T_c}{T_h} \right) Q + RT_h \log \left ( \frac{v_f-b}{v_i - b} \right) + \frac{a}{v_f} - \frac{a}{v_i}
    [/tex]
    Also energy conservation gives
    [tex]
    \Delta u + W + Q =0
    [/tex]
    and entropy conservation
    [tex] R \log \left ( \frac{v_f-b}{v_i - b} \right) + \frac{Q}{T_c} = 0
    [/tex]
    Finally the energy change is
    [tex]
    \Delta u = \frac{a}{v_i} - \frac{a}{v_f}
    [/tex]
    Everything seems to work out except that fraction [itex] T_c/T_h[/itex] is the wrong way round and I see no way of dealing with this. Help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2017 #2
    I see my problem: there are two Qs. The first equation was the heat from the subsystem and the energy and entropy the heat RHS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted