1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-fall problem

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    I've spent about an hour and a half on this question, working with different formulas and manipulating equations but I still can't figure it out. The question:

"A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-quarters of the distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. From what height was the ball dropped, and what was the total time of the fall?"

I would type here what I have figured out, but really it seems like I have gotten nowhere. I think I've come close, though.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you tell us what your thinking is on the problem and give some indication of what you have tried.
  4. Jun 7, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work out the expression for total height in terms of total time.

Then work out how much distance is fallen in t-1. That will give you another expression for h. Can you take it from there?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  5. Jun 8, 2006 #4
    Convert what you said into an equatiom, think about distance=rate*time, and you will need to use that from free-fall the velocity of the ball at any time t is v=at, where a=9.8 m/s^2.
  6. Jun 8, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is not nesscary to find the velocity at any point during the free fall. The problem can be solved with the application of a single kinematic equation.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?