Not sure if this approach is correct for ball falling past a window

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball being dropped from a certain height and the time it takes for the ball to reach a certain velocity. One person suggests an approach to the problem and asks for clarification, while another suggests a different approach and provides an example. The conversation also discusses the relevance of the object's continued acceleration while falling and concludes with a request for the correct answer to the problem.
deuce123

Homework Statement

1. A ball is dropped from somewhere above a window that is 2.00 m in height. As it falls, it is visible to a person looking through the window for 200 ms as it passes by the 2.00 m height of the window. From what height above the top of the window was the ball dropped?

Is it correct to assume that since the average velocity of the ball passing the window is 10 m/s, I can assume it took about 1.22s after the initial position due to gravity to reach the overall average velocity? This is the approach I took to the problem and would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if its correct or not. If not, please explain how too approach the problem. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
deuce123 said:
I can assume it took about 1.22s after the initial position due to gravity to reach the overall average velocity?
How did you arrive at this number? How does it answer your question?

Note that the object continues accelerating while falling, do you think this is relevant to your answer? Why/why not?

deuce123 said:
Is it correct to assume that since the average velocity of the ball passing the window is 10 m/s, I can assume it took about 1.22s after the initial position
No. I believe the average velocity of an object falling with constant acceleration occurs at about 1/3 the distance it travels. The ball spends more time at slower speeds as it is initially accelerating. I will see if I can find the proof.

In the meantime, here is a simple example: the average speed of a ball traveling the distance L/2 at 10m/s and then the distance L/2 at 20m/s is not 15m/s.

Jamison Lahman said:
No. I believe the average velocity of an object falling with constant acceleration occurs at about 1/3 the distance it travels. The ball spends more time at slower speeds as it is initially accelerating. I will see if I can find the proof.

In the meantime, here is a simple example: the average speed of a ball traveling the distance L/2 at 10m/s and then the distance L/2 at 20m/s is not 15m/s.
$$t_{slow} = s/v = L/20$$
$$t_{fast} = s/v = L/40$$
Where s is the distance traveled and v is the speed. The average velocity is then:
$$\bar v = \frac{distance}{time} = \frac{L}{\frac{2L}{40}+\frac{L}{40}} = 40/3 \text{m/s}$$
40/3 =/= 15

Orodruin said:
How did you arrive at this number? How does it answer your question?

Note that the object continues accelerating while falling, do you think this is relevant to your answer? Why/why not?
I used it in turn too calculate the velocity and then ultimately the position. I just divided the gravitational acceleration by the average velocity for the time. I thought about it alittle bit more, so the velocity at the top of the window would be different than the average, so therefore i can't assume that it was dropping for 1.22s beforehand? Also what's another way too approach this problem? Also if anyone can provide me with the correct answer so i can know if i did it correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Jamison Lahman said:
$$t_{slow} = s/v = L/20$$
$$t_{fast} = s/v = L/40$$
Where s is the distance traveled and v is the speed. The average velocity is then:
$$\bar v = \frac{distance}{time} = \frac{L}{\frac{2L}{40}+\frac{L}{40}} = 40/3 \text{m/s}$$
40/3 =/= 15
is it correct too assume for this that tfast covers 2x the ground as tslow? I'm not exactly understanding it well, thank you though.

deuce123 said:
I used it in turn too calculate the velocity and then ultimately the position.
You should quote exactly what you did, the formulas you used, and the numbers you put in. Describing it in vague terms does not help us understand what you have actually done.

deuce123 said:
I thought about it alittle bit more, so the velocity at the top of the window would be different than the average, so therefore i can't assume that it was dropping for 1.22s beforehand? Also what's another way too approach this problem?
Assume that it starts a distance ##s## above the window. After how long will it reach the top of the window? After how long will it reach the bottom of the window? What is the difference between these times?

deuce123 said:
Also if anyone can provide me with the correct answer so i can know if i did it correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody here will do that until you have solved the problem for yourself. We will give you hints and suggestions and tell you when you have done it correctly, but not solve the problem for you.

Jamison Lahman said:
No. I believe the average velocity of an object falling with constant acceleration occurs at about 1/3 the distance it travels
This is false. It depends on the initial velocity. Consider a situation where ##v \gg a/t##, where ##t## is the time-scale of the observation.

Orodruin said:
This is false. It depends on the initial velocity. Consider a situation where ##v \gg a/t##, where ##t## is the time-scale of the observation.
I take "dropped" to mean no initial velocity. If the initial velocity is not 0, this problem has infinitely many solutions. The average position of an object in constant acceleration with no initial velocity is 1/3 the distance.

Anyways, I did misinterpret OP's original thinking. We can use the average velocity and the acceleration to find the time it takes to get to that speed, but we don't yet know the position this occurs in regards to the window (and it does not occur at 1m).
deuce123 said:
Also what's another way too approach this problem?
I found it easiest to find the velocity as it first enters the view of the window. Do you know how to calculate the change in speed given a distance, acceleration, and time? How can we relate the average velocity to the initial and final velocities of the object while in the window? See if this page helps you: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/1dkin/Lesson-6/Kinematic-Equations
deuce123 said:
Also if anyone can provide me with the correct answer so i can know if i did it correctly would be greatly appreciated.
I got 4m<distance<5m. That's not the exact answer obviously, but it may help as a reference

Last edited:
@deuce123: Please follow the line Orodruin is taking you in post #7. You can ignore the rest of this post.

@Jamison Lahman: Not that it helps at all in solving the question, but
Jamison Lahman said:
the average velocity of an object falling with constant acceleration [from rest] occurs at about 1/3 the distance it travels.
No. It's a quarter.
##\Delta s = \frac 12 a\Delta t^2##
##v_{avg}=a\frac 12\Delta t=v|_{\frac 12\Delta t}##
So average velocity is reached at ##t_{v_{avg}}=\frac 12\Delta t##
##s|_{v_{avg}}=\frac 12 a(\frac 12\Delta t)^2=\frac 18 a\Delta t^2=\frac 14\Delta s ##

Jamison Lahman said:
The average position of an object in constant acceleration with no initial velocity is 1/3 the distance.
Yes.

Jamison Lahman said:
I take "dropped" to mean no initial velocity. If the initial velocity is not 0, this problem has infinitely many solutions
Yes, but the window of observation (haha :p) is not from the drop time and so your idea is not applicable to the average speed that you can observe here.

1. What is the correct approach for determining the trajectory of a ball falling past a window?

The correct approach for determining the trajectory of a ball falling past a window is to use the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law of motion, to calculate the acceleration of the ball due to gravity and the initial velocity of the ball. This information can then be used to determine the position of the ball at any given time and predict its trajectory.

2. How does the angle of the window affect the trajectory of the falling ball?

The angle of the window does not affect the trajectory of the falling ball as long as the window is perpendicular to the ground. This is because the force of gravity acts vertically downwards, causing the ball to fall straight down regardless of the angle of the window.

3. Is air resistance a factor in calculating the trajectory of a falling ball past a window?

Yes, air resistance can be a factor in calculating the trajectory of a falling ball past a window. However, its effect is usually negligible for small objects like a ball falling from a window. If the ball is falling from a great height or if it is a larger object, the air resistance may need to be taken into account in the calculations.

4. How can the mass and size of the ball affect its trajectory when falling past a window?

The mass and size of the ball can affect its trajectory when falling past a window by changing the force of gravity acting on the ball and the amount of air resistance it experiences. Generally, a larger and heavier ball will fall faster and have a more direct trajectory compared to a smaller and lighter ball.

5. Can other factors, such as wind or the shape of the window, impact the trajectory of a falling ball?

Yes, other factors such as wind or the shape of the window can impact the trajectory of a falling ball. Wind can cause the ball to deviate from its predicted path, while the shape of the window may create air resistance that affects the ball's speed and direction. These factors may need to be taken into consideration when calculating the trajectory of the falling ball.