Free Fortran g90 compilers for windows xp

In summary, the speaker is looking for a recommendation on a Fortran programming environment as they will be inheriting a code written in g90. They mention that notepad is sufficient for editing, but they would like an environment that helps with debugging. They have heard that DIGITAL visual fortran 5.0 is a good option, but it is not feasible for them to use. They are looking for a free alternative that is comparable, such as g95 or the Gnu General compiler, but they are unsure how to install them on Windows. They believe there is documentation and online resources available to help with the installation process.
Saladsamurai
I know there are tons of them out there, but I am looking for a recommendation on one. I know absolutely nothing about Fortran and very little about programming in general. I do know that I will be inheriting a bunch of code that was written in a g90 environment (if that is even the correct terminology).

I just need to know exactly what I will need to run and edit the code. I know that to edit it, all I really need is notepad, but I wouldn't mind an environment that helps with the debugging process.

I know that most of the guys around my lab are using DIGITAL visual fortran 5.0. But they are all sharing from 1 disc which is out of the question for me since this a university computer (and because I'm a good boy :wink: ). But I would like to keep it as comparable as possible. Any good recommendations for something free that is comparable to DIGITAL visual fortran 5.0?

Any advice is appreciated :smile:

Technology news on Phys.org
I've used g95 extensively with great success. It doesn't produce as fast executables as say, Intel Fortran (ifort), but the debugging options are still great, and the documentation is fantastic.

As far as installing a compiler such as that, it should be fairly straightforward. For Windows, it appears that there is a self-extracting x86 binary, which should get you good to go.

There is also the Gnu General compiler (GCC), which has gfortran in it. I don't have a lot of experience with it though.

I know that these run great under Linux environments, I can't say a lot about under Windows. You may have to run Cygwin or something like that to get these to work. I would assume there is decent documentation and how-tos online and at the respective websites.

Hi there minger! So what did you actually install to use g95?

1. What is a Fortran g90 compiler?

A Fortran g90 compiler is a software program that translates Fortran code into executable machine code that can be run on a computer. It is specifically designed for the Fortran g90 programming language, which is used for scientific and engineering applications.

2. Is the Fortran g90 compiler free to use?

Yes, there are several free Fortran g90 compilers available for use. Some examples include GNU Fortran, G95, and Open Watcom. These compilers are open source and can be freely downloaded and used on Windows XP and other operating systems.

3. How do I install a Fortran g90 compiler on Windows XP?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific compiler you choose, but in general, you can follow these steps:
1. Download the compiler from its official website.
2. Run the installer and follow the instructions.
3. Once the installation is complete, set the compiler as the default for Fortran files.
4. You may also need to set up your system's PATH variable to include the compiler's location so that it can be accessed from any directory.

4. Can I use a Fortran g90 compiler to compile and run my existing Fortran code?

Yes, as long as your code is written in the Fortran g90 language, it can be compiled and run using a Fortran g90 compiler. However, keep in mind that some compilers may have slight variations in syntax or features, so you may need to make minor adjustments to your code.

5. Are there any limitations to using a free Fortran g90 compiler for Windows XP?

There may be some limitations to using a free Fortran g90 compiler, such as a lack of technical support or updates, compared to paid versions. Additionally, some free compilers may not have all the features and optimizations of commercial compilers. However, for general use and for learning purposes, free compilers can be a great option.