Free way Sign Problem - Statics

In summary: Yes, this will help. The diagram shows the torque (in purple) and the force (in green) being applied to each bolt. Looking at the diagram, you can see that the bolts have a shear force of 10.5 kN.
Naeem
Q. The base of the freeway sign is attached to its foundation with four bolts.The four bolts must be able to resist the twisiting of the pole that is caused by the wind. Assume each bolt carries the same force. If the diameter of the bolt circle is 0.9m, calculate the horizontal (shear) force on each of the bolts due to the twisitng moment about the y - axis.

Let me describe, the measurements in the figure :

12.6 kN is the force of the wind on the sign.

10.5 k N is the weight of the sign acting downward

Distance from O to the positive direction of the x - axis is 5 m. (not indicated in the attached file )

Distance from O to positive direction of z is 9.75 m.

Please help me how to start this problem.

I hope the attached sketch helps you folks.

Thanks

Attachments

• moment problem.doc
    25 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand the problem; I've taken physics classes but no engineering classes, so I haven't talked much about these types of problems. The sketch you attached is pretty unclear. The situation seems to be this: This freeway sign is like a stop sign in that it sticks straight up rather than sticking out. The base is circular and pretty large, being 0.9 m wide. Four bolts bolt down the edge of the circular base, each 90 degrees from its neighbors. A wind blows at the sign, producing a torque that gets transferred down to its base, causing a shear stress to be felt by the bolts. I don't know, though, how the wind would produce a torque seeing as the force on all parts of the sign is equal. I feel I'm missing important details here. What am I missing?

I just typed out the question from the textbook as is.

The sign is hanging straight up in the x - z plane.

The wind blowing on the freeway exit sign and the weight of the sign are represented by point loadings acting at the center of the sign, as shown in the sketch. The force of the wind is 12.6 kN and the sign weighs 10.5 kN.

yes, the 4 bolts on the circular base are 90 degrees from each other.

I think I get what I was missing. The sign is 9.75 meters high, and it sticks out 5 m from the post. I'm still not sure what the size of the sign is, or if it matters. Because that information is not given in the problem, I'll assume you can treat the sign as a point particle.

First, you need to find the torque produced by the wind. Torque = lever arm * force. Now, the torque at the top of the post is transferred to the bottom of the post, so the bolts feel the same torque the post at the top does. For equilibrium (i.e., so the post doesn't start spinning around), a counter-torque needs to be exerted by the bolts. Equate the torque to the counter-torque, then find an expression for the counter-torque, then solve for the force on each bolt. Is this what you need to know?

Well, this is what I found :

You can take a look at the attached file. Will this help us in finding the force on each bolt.

Attachments

• Moment - solved a bit.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 244

1. What is the Free Way Sign Problem in Statics?

The Free Way Sign Problem in Statics is a hypothetical situation where there is a large highway sign that is supported by cables connected to two poles. The problem involves determining the tensions in the cables and the vertical forces acting on the poles in order to keep the sign in equilibrium.

2. How is the Free Way Sign Problem solved?

The Free Way Sign Problem is solved using the principles of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a stationary object must equal zero. This involves setting up and solving a system of equations using the known and unknown forces and moments.

3. What are the key assumptions made in solving the Free Way Sign Problem?

The key assumptions made in solving the Free Way Sign Problem include: the sign is in static equilibrium, the poles are fixed and do not move, the cables are ideal and do not stretch, and the sign is a rigid object.

4. How does the angle of the cables affect the solution to the Free Way Sign Problem?

The angle of the cables has a significant impact on the solution to the Free Way Sign Problem. As the angle increases, the tension in the cable also increases, and the vertical forces acting on the poles decrease. Therefore, finding the correct angle for the cables is crucial in keeping the sign in equilibrium.

5. What real-life applications can the Free Way Sign Problem have?

The Free Way Sign Problem has various real-life applications, including determining the tensions in suspension bridges, radio towers, and other structures that use cables for support. It can also be applied in engineering and construction projects to ensure the stability and safety of structures.