Static Equilibrium: holding a sign

In summary: The net forces equation is:Forces up = Forces down =====> FHand = Mg + mg Where M is the mass of the vertical post and m is the mass of the sign.
schwiffty

Homework Statement

You are holding a sign as shown below. The sign (including the horizontal bar it hangs from) has a mass of 2.20 kg and is 40.5 cm wide. The sign is hanging from a 1.03 m tall, 4.46 kg vertical post. The sign is symmetric with a uniform mass distribution as implied by the drawing

JkCorR5.png

What external force (+ if up, - if down) and torque (+ for CCW, - for CW) do you have to apply with your hand to keep the sign in static equilibrium? [Use g = 9.80 m/s2 and ignore the width of the vertical post.]

Homework Equations

Net Forces = 0

Torques (counter clockwise) = Torques (clockwise)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the only forces acting on the sign are vertical so for the net forces equation I have:

Forces up = Forces down =====> FHand = Mg + mg
Where M is the mass of the vertical post and m is the mass of the sign.

For the conservation of torques I have: d * FHand = d*Mg + d*mg
Where d is the lever arm in meters.

(The axis of rotation is at the left side.)

0.405 * FHand = 0.405 * (4.46kg*9.8) + 0.2025 * (2.20kg*9.8)FHand = (17.7017 N*m + 4.3659 N*m) / 0.405 m

FHand = 54.488 N Torque = 22.0676 N*m

This answer is wrong and I do not know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
schwiffty said:

Homework Statement

You are holding a sign as shown below. The sign (including the horizontal bar it hangs from) has a mass of 2.20 kg and is 40.5 cm wide. The sign is hanging from a 1.03 m tall, 4.46 kg vertical post. The sign is symmetric with a uniform mass distribution as implied by the drawing

JkCorR5.png

What external force (+ if up, - if down) and torque (+ for CCW, - for CW) do you have to apply with your hand to keep the sign in static equilibrium? [Use g = 9.80 m/s2 and ignore the width of the vertical post.]

Homework Equations

Net Forces = 0

Torques (counter clockwise) = Torques (clockwise)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the only forces acting on the sign are vertical so for the net forces equation I have:

0.405 * FHand = 0.405 * (4.46kg*9.8) + 0.2025 * (2.20kg*9.8)FHand = (17.7017 N*m + 4.3659 N*m) / 0.405 m

FHand = 54.488 N Torque = 22.0676 N*m

This answer is wrong and I do not know why.
Your vertical force calculation looks okay, but I'm not understanding your torque equations. The vertical post itself would not require a torque to keep vertical. What are you taking as the mass and center of mass for the torque from the sign?

Likes schwiffty
Hello, Welcome to PF!
schwiffty said:
Note that the hand applies both a force and a torque. The torque is in the form of a "couple". The torque due to a couple is independent of the choice of location of the axis of rotation.

Does this give the correct answer for FHand?

You did not include the torque (couple) provided by the hand.
I recommend taking the axis of rotation to be some point on the vertical rod.

Likes schwiffty
TSny said:
Hello, Welcome to PF!

Note that the hand applies both a force and a torque. The torque is in the form of a "couple". The torque due to a couple is independent of the choice of location of the axis of rotation.Does this give the correct answer for FHand? You did not include the torque (couple) provided by the hand.
I recommend taking the axis of rotation to be some point on the vertical rod.

Hi!

I can't find out if my answer for the force of the hand is correct because the question requires both parts to be entered to tell me if its right.

When you say the torque is in the form of a couple, does this mean that there is some horizontal force acting on the vertical bar I need to solve for?

schwiffty said:
Hi!

I can't find out if my answer for the force of the hand is correct because the question requires both parts to be entered to tell me if its right.
I see.

When you say the torque is in the form of a couple, does this mean that there is some horizontal force acting on the vertical bar I need to solve for?
See figure below. The couple can be thought of as due to the two red forces f. You do not need to find f. You just need to find ##\tau_H##.

Attachments

• Couple and Force of Hand.png
    Couple and Force of Hand.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 486
Likes berkeman
Turns out I just needed to use the vertical post/hand as the axis of rotation, giving me a torques equation of:

0.2025 * 2.20kg * 9.8 = Torques CW

(torque caused by the sign) = (torque provided by the hand to keep the system in static equilibrium)

... giving me an answer of -4.3659, negative since its clockwise.

Thanks TSny and berkeman.

Related to Static Equilibrium: holding a sign

1. What is static equilibrium and how does it relate to holding a sign?

Static equilibrium refers to the state where an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. In the context of holding a sign, it means that the sign is not moving or falling because the forces acting on it are equal and opposite.

2. What are the main factors that affect static equilibrium when holding a sign?

The main factors that affect static equilibrium when holding a sign are the weight of the sign, the force exerted by the person holding the sign, and the distance between the person's hand and the sign's center of mass.

3. How does the center of mass impact static equilibrium when holding a sign?

The center of mass is the point where the entire weight of the sign can be considered to be concentrated. When holding a sign, the center of mass should be directly above the point of support (such as the hand), otherwise, the sign will tilt and be unstable.

4. Can the size and shape of a sign affect its static equilibrium when being held?

Yes, the size and shape of a sign can affect its static equilibrium when being held. A larger or irregularly shaped sign will have a larger center of mass, making it more difficult to balance and maintain static equilibrium.

5. How can a person maintain static equilibrium when holding a sign?

A person can maintain static equilibrium when holding a sign by evenly distributing the weight of the sign on their arm and keeping their hand directly underneath the sign's center of mass. They can also adjust their grip or stance to counteract any slight movements or forces acting on the sign.