1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freezing point of flowing water.

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    this is my first post :) I will be very glad if you would answer my question. Does freezing point decrease if water is flowing or in otjer words,"does flowing water freeze more easily than still water". if the answer is yes, would you please give me the link of the source or paper. iwill be very very appreciated. Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

I'd quite like to know the answer to that. :rolleyes:

Anyone? :smile:
  4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    I would have no idea how to support my answer using physics. But something tells me that the more kinetic energy the water has, the harder it is to stabilize. So I think the faster water flows the lower freezing point it has.
  5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

A gently flowing stream of water has/with a very smooth boundary layer transition from no flow attached at the boundary to the highest velocity. Where does the freezing first occur? What pattern might the frozen fluid form?
  6. Feb 16, 2010 #5
    freezing point is 0 degrees celsius at 1.013 bar atmosphere pressure now it depends because since water is flowing it has a kinetic energy and thus making it harder to freeze as we know solid form is just molecules moving closer together, slowing down etc.... which means u will rarely find ice on flowing water
  7. Feb 16, 2010 #6
    One possibility is that water at 0 Celsius rapidly increases viscosity as it begins to freeze, so if it is flowing, there is increased Reynold's number (turbulence) and thus increased kinetic energy being converted into latent heat of melting. Many years ago, I was camping near a flowing stream in the winter. When I arose in the morning, I mixed a cup of Tang using the stream water, which quickly began to freeze in my tin cup. Was it the Tang that made it freeze?

Bob S
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook