1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency in an oscilloscope simulation

1. Jul 24, 2011 #1
    Every time I try to find frequency on this problem I get the same answer - and according to the simulation it is incorrect.

Here's a picture of the simulation.

Please note: I am just trying to find frequency. I know the other two variables (.6A and 6V ; these are confirmed correct)

[PLAIN]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/100/screenshot20110724at104.png [Broken]

Looking at this image, I see only 2 and 1/4 cycles.

Frequency is, essentially, cycles per second (1/s) and period is the time it takes to complete a single cycle.

Based on the image I attached, I see 2 and 1/4 cycles (9/4) over a time of .5e-6 s. This is the same as dividing (9/4) by (.5e-6).

(9/4) / (.5e-6) = 4.5e6 s^(-1)

I do not understand where my mistake is.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2011 #2
    The time scale setting for an oscillisope is usually in terms of time/division. 0.5e-6 s would correspond to the distance between vertical lines.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Jul 24, 2011 #3
    Derp! I knew that but I guess I had a brainfart.

Thanks! I got the correct answer (5e5 s^-1)

5. Jul 24, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One period (minimum to minimum) is 4 units on the time scale. The oscilloscope shows the length of such units, it is 0.5 x 10-6 s.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook