1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of first intensity maximum for loudspeakers

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two loudspeakers are set up 4.0 meters apart and are driven in phase by the same amplifier. The listener is located a sufficient distance away so the angle to the listener is approximately the same at each speaker as indicated in the drawing. The speed of sound is 344 m/s. What frequency would the speakers need to emit if the first intensity maximum from the central maximum occurs at an angle of 30° from the perpendicular to each speaker?
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]v=\lambda \cdot f[/tex]
    There is also [tex]A = 2 A_0 cos(\frac{\phi}{2})[/tex] in the solution to the problem but I don't understand where this equation even came from. It's not in my book or anything.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know I'm looking for f, the frequency. So I did [tex]f = \frac{v_{\mbox{sound}}}{\lambda}[/tex] but that's about it. Now the actual solution uses [tex]A=2A_0 cos(\frac{\phi}{2})[/tex] and [tex]\phi = k \Delta x[/tex]. I would like to understand where these equations came from. Are they universal for this type of problem, or were they somehow derived from the given information?

Here is a copy of the whole problem with the solution.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2
    Surely the first max will occur when the path length from one speaker is a single wavelength longer than to the path length to the other.
    The path difference shown here is 4*sin30° = 2metres
    So 344m/sec = 2m * frequency
    Frequency = 172 Hertz.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?