1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of Oscillation of a Molecule

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the frequency of oscillation, v, of a molecule is related to the form of the inter - atomic potential V(r) about the equilibrium separation, r =ro by the expression,

v = (1/2pi).sqrt([d2V/dr2r=ro/(m)])

where m is the reduced mass

2. Relevant equations

None given

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know where to start it was set as a 'challenge question' in a book i have borrowed.

I was thinking the second derivative had something to do with the spring constant. Or it maybe involved the Morse or Leonard Jones Potential. The thing is I don't know how to relate any of these things.

Is the term in square roots the frequency? I.e based on the formula w= 2piv

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

hmmm...
    [tex]\nu = \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}\left.\frac{\mathrm{d}^2V}{\mathrm{d}r^2}\right|_{r=r_0}}[/tex]
    yep,
    [tex]2\pi\nu = \omega[/tex]
    You're on the right track to think about the spring constant. As a first step, try writing a Taylor series for the potential around the point r_0.

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook