Finding Time for Boat to Slow Down with Velocity Dependent Forces

In summary, the problem involves finding the time required for a 1000kg boat traveling at 25 m/s, with a frictional force proportional to its speed, to slow down to 12.5 m/s. Using the equation F=ma, we can find the acceleration a(t) of the boat, which is equal to 70v(t)/(1000 kg). However, further calculation is needed to find the time required for the boat to slow down to the desired speed.
cbasst

Homework Statement

A 1000kg boat is traveling at 25 m/s when its engine is shut off. The magnitude of the frictional force f between the boat and the water is proportional to the speed v of the boat: f=70v, where v is in meters per second and f is in Newtons. Find the time required for the boat to slow to 12.5 m/s.

Homework Equations

F=ma
a(t)=v'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

70v = (1000 kg) * a
a(t) = 70v(t) / (1000 kg)

However, after this point I don't know what to do. I can't use the formula v2 = vo2 + 2a(Δx), because I don't know Δx. I don't know how I would find the anti-derivative of a(t), since a(t) is defined in terms of v(t). What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this look right?

Attachments

• boat194.jpg
    boat194.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 481
It probably is, but I don't understand it. We haven't gotten that far in ap calculus yet, so I'll ask my teacher about how that works tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

1. What is a velocity dependent force?

A velocity dependent force is a force that is dependent on the velocity of an object. This means that the force acting on the object changes as the object's velocity changes.

2. How is a velocity dependent force different from a constant force?

A velocity dependent force changes as the object's velocity changes, while a constant force remains the same regardless of the object's velocity.

3. What is an example of a velocity dependent force?

An example of a velocity dependent force is air resistance. As an object moves through the air, the force of air resistance increases with the object's velocity.

4. How do velocity dependent forces affect an object's motion?

Velocity dependent forces can either increase or decrease an object's velocity. For example, air resistance can slow down an object's motion, while a rocket's thrust can increase its velocity.

5. How do scientists calculate the effect of velocity dependent forces on an object?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Newton's Second Law of Motion, to calculate the effect of velocity dependent forces on an object. These equations take into account the object's mass, velocity, and the magnitude and direction of the force.