1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction, Forces, Coefficient of Friction (True/False) Simple

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are pushing a filing cabinet across a rough floor (μk = 0.41) in a straight line at a constant speed. Which of the following statements about the magnitudes of the forces acting on the filing cabinet are correct?
    (T/F)the force that you exert on the filing cabinet will be equal to the frictional force on the cabinet
    (T/F) the force that you exert on the filing cabinet will be more than the frictional force on the cabinet
    (T/F)if you exerted twice the force, the cabinet would slide at a constant speed that is twice the original value
    (T/F) the force that you exert on the filing cabinet will be more than its weight
    (T/F)the force that you exert on the filing cabinet will be less than its weight

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. True I assume because it's at a constant speed
    2. False I assume because then it would be accelerating?
    3. False, I assume it would just be moving faster and accelerating not at constant speed
    4. No idea
    5. No idea

Help please, some explanations too would be great. I really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
    The expression for frictional force is

[tex]f_k=\mu_k\mbox{N}[/tex]

N is the normal force and in this case is equal to the weight of the cabinet. This information should help you with the last two questions.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    Sweet, sometimes I'm a little slow, those last two were easy :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?