1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Forces, find the coefficient of kinetic friction

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am stuck on this question, I don't understand what to do. Any help would be great! I know that I have to use Newton's Second Law in the x and y directions.

Greezy is pushing a very large crate of 50 kg across the floor at a constant velocity with a force of 200N. He is pushing on the crate upwards at an angle of 20 degrees.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ground and the create?

I don't understand what to do with that angle that is upwards?

Thanks again!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

On problems like this, you should usually start by drawing a free body diagram (FBD), showing the forces on the object. Then what do you do with the sum of the forces in each dimension (hint: F=ma)...?

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    Thank you.

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4
    You're solving for mu_k.

In order to do that you should know what Friction Force is equal to. Plug that in and solve!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted