Friction, Kinetic Energy, & Momentum of a Sphere down an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a solid sphere rolling without slipping down an incline. The desired outputs are the minimum coefficient of static friction for rolling without slipping, the velocity of the center of the sphere at the bottom of the incline, the angular momentum at that point, and the kinetic energy at the bottom. The conversation also includes a drawing, equations, and formulas that can be used to solve the problem. The conversation includes a discussion about finding the velocity, friction, and angular momentum, and addresses misconceptions about torque and kinetic energy.
Zenoture

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass 3.00 kg and radius 12.5cm rolls without slipping down an incline of
angle 13.5 degree for 250 m. Find the minimum coefficient of static friction required for a
rolling without slipping. What is the velocity of the center of the sphere at the bottom of the
incline? What is the angular momentum at that point? That is the kinetic energy at this point? Make a drawing, show the forces and torques. Indicate the torque which you are using for your calculations. Derive your formulas.

[Figures can all be rounded to 3 sig figs.]

M = 3.00 kg
R = 12.5 cm = 0.123 m
θ = 13.5
d = 250 m
h = d*sinθ = 58.4 m

Homework Equations

V = volume = 4/3πR3; dV/dR = 4πR2
ρ = M/V
Icm = ∫r2dm
dm = ρ*dV
ME = Krot + Kcm - U
L=Iaω; Ia = Icm + Md^2 where d is the distance between the two axes

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22657586/phys130_mt2_f10_num2.JPG

I found the velocity fine, and the answer matched with the solutions, but I can't seem to get the angular momentum, coefficient of friction, or the kinetic energy at the bottom.

For friction...
I know that fs ≤ μs*N & N = Mgcosθ but how do I find out what fs is?

For angular momentum...
I started with the L equation above, then subbed in the values from my previously derived work (see image) but the answer I got was way off from the correct answer.

For kinetic energy at the bottom...
It would just be 7/10*M*v2 minus the work done by friction correct? So if I can somehow find the work done by friction over the distance traveled, then I find the amount of kinetic energy left at the bottom... would that be right?

I know there are a lot of questions here, but since they're all related to the same problem, I thought I would take a shot and just put all the thoughts in my head about this problem and just have the community pick at what they feel they want to attack first, and maybe help me make a game plan for this sort of problem. Thanks in advance for any help given!

Official Answers:
V=28.6 m/s
L=4.39 kg m2/s
μs=0.0686

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Zenoture,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Zenoture said:

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass 3.00 kg and radius 12.5cm rolls without slipping down an incline of
angle 13.5 degree for 250 m. Find the minimum coefficient of static friction required for a
rolling without slipping. What is the velocity of the center of the sphere at the bottom of the
incline? What is the angular momentum at that point? That is the kinetic energy at this point? Make a drawing, show the forces and torques. Indicate the torque which you are using for your calculations. Derive your formulas.

[Figures can all be rounded to 3 sig figs.]

M = 3.00 kg
R = 12.5 cm = 0.123 m
θ = 13.5
d = 250 m
h = d*sinθ = 58.4 m

Homework Equations

V = volume = 4/3πR3; dV/dR = 4πR2
ρ = M/V
Icm = ∫r2dm
dm = ρ*dV
ME = Krot + Kcm - U
L=Iaω; Ia = Icm + Md^2 where d is the distance between the two axes

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22657586/phys130_mt2_f10_num2.JPG

I found the velocity fine, and the answer matched with the solutions,
Okay, so far so good. :approve:
For friction...
I know that fs ≤ μs*N & N = Mgcosθ but how do I find out what fs is?
You've found the velocity of the ball already. You can use your kinematics equations (for uniform acceleration) to find the ball's acceleration.

The ball is accelerating down the ramp. So the sum of all forces are not equal to zero. The sum of all forces are equal to the ball's mass times its acceleration: Newton's second law. Use your free body diagram for this. What are the forces acting on the ball?

Alternatively, if you wanted to, you could calculate the ball's angular acceleration in the same way (using, in part, the ball's initial and final angular velocity), and then use Newton's second law equivalent in terms of torques. What torques are acting on the ball? Which forces cause torque on the ball?

I suggest working it both ways to double check your answer.
For angular momentum...
I started with the L equation above, then subbed in the values from my previously derived work (see image) but the answer I got was way off from the correct answer.
Um, the formula you used for moment of inertia on this part was

Ia = Icm + Md2.

Well, okay. It's not the formula I would have started with, but let's go with it anyway. That formula is for some sort of massive shape (could be a ball) pivoting on a point that is not necessarily the center of mass. For example, it could be a ball attached to one end of a massless rod, and the whole thing pivots at the other end of the rod.

So let's apply it to this problem. What is the pivot point of the ball? Is it not already rotating around its center of mass? If it is already rotating around the center of mass, what does that tell you about d in the formula?

You've already calculated the ball's moment of inertia, Icm = (2/5)Mr2.

Later in your handwritten work, you seem to be implying that ω = R/v. That's not right. ω = v/R. Just remember that the angular velocity is proportional to the linear velocity.

For kinetic energy at the bottom...
It would just be 7/10*M*v2 minus the work done by friction correct? So if I can somehow find the work done by friction over the distance traveled, then I find the amount of kinetic energy left at the bottom... would that be right?
Friction doesn't do any work, unless the ball start's sliding.

If the ball is not sliding, then the part of the ball that is touching the ramp is stationary with respect to the ramp (that's kind of the definition of not sliding). So the distance of the slide is zero, meaning the work done by friction is zero.
I know there are a lot of questions here, but since they're all related to the same problem, I thought I would take a shot and just put all the thoughts in my head about this problem and just have the community pick at what they feel they want to attack first, and maybe help me make a game plan for this sort of problem. Thanks in advance for any help given!

Official Answers:
V=28.6 m/s
L=4.39 kg m2/s
μs=0.0686

Last edited by a moderator:

1) What is friction and how does it affect a sphere rolling down an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When a sphere is rolling down an inclined plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing down the sphere's movement.

2) How does the kinetic energy of a sphere change as it rolls down an inclined plane?

The kinetic energy of a sphere increases as it rolls down an inclined plane. This is because the sphere's potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, due to the force of gravity acting on the sphere.

3) What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the sphere's momentum?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the sphere's momentum by changing the force of gravity acting on the sphere. A steeper angle will result in a greater force of gravity, leading to a higher momentum for the sphere.

4) How does the mass of the sphere impact its movement down an inclined plane?

The mass of the sphere affects its movement down an inclined plane by influencing its acceleration. A heavier sphere will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, resulting in a higher acceleration down the inclined plane.

5) What factors can affect the final velocity of a sphere at the bottom of an inclined plane?

The final velocity of a sphere at the bottom of an inclined plane is affected by factors such as the angle of the plane, the mass of the sphere, and the presence of external forces such as friction. These factors can either increase or decrease the final velocity of the sphere.