1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction/Movement of Blocks down inclined plane

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The given diagram is an inclined plane with a 15 degree angle. There are three boxes, A, B, and C all weighing 4 kg. The three packages are touching, but B is in the middle and larger than A and C, which are the same size.
    The coefficients of friction for A and C are static=.30 and kinetic=.20
    The coefficients of friction for B are static=.10 and kinetic=.08

Determine which, if any, of the packages will move and the friction force acting on each box.

2. Relevant equations
    SUM Fx=0
    SUM Fy=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've determined the weight of each box is 39.2 N (F=ma)
    For box A (closest to the angle of the inclined plane)
    tan(15)=.268 < .3=static coefficient, therefore, block A will not move on its own
    SUM Fx=f1-39.2sin(15)=0
    SUM Fy=N1-39.2cos(15)=0
    f1=friction force=10.15 N
    N1=Normal Force from plane=37.9N

I don't know how to treat the blocks being in contact with each other. I know there should be a normal force there, and I know that for block B, tan(.15)=.268>.1, therefore on its own, block B would move. Block C will not move because it is identical to block A and there is no force acting on it to push it down the ramp.

How do I know if block A and B move?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    Help? Someone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook