1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction problem (mass on top of another mass)

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    a block with mass m1=4.0kg is placed on top of a block with mass m2=12.0kg.
    (a) if the acceleration of the lower block is a2=5.2m/s^2, calculate the minimum coefficient of static friction (u minimum, where u is mew), for the contact surface between 1 and 2, that will prevent block 1 from slipping with respect to block 2.
    (b) the contact surfaces are polished and it is found that block 1 now slides on block 2. if the coefficient of kinetic friction uk=1/2u(minimum), u(minimum) found in a, what is the acceleration of block 1 with respect to the table (a1).
    (c) what is the acceleration of block 1 with respect to the acceleration of block 2?
    (d) what force must be applied to block 2 in (a) and (b) if the table is frictionless
    [​IMG]
    im stuck on a, i dont know what to do with the acceleration, i thought about multiplying it with one of the masses, but i dont know which one

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw free body diagrams for both the blocks. What forces are acting on each of them?

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    for (a) i found the Ff of m1 by:
    Ff = ma
    Ff = 4(5.2)
    Ff = 20.8
    mew (u) = Ff/Fn
    u = 20.8/(4)(9.8)
    u = 0.53

so for (b) the u k = 1/2 (0.53) = 0.265

am i right for (a)? and (b), i've no idea how to start

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?