1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictional force problem(box sliding down between two walls)

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    The full problem is: "A 2.0kg box slides down at constant velocity between two identical walls. What is the frictional force exerted on the box by one of the walls?"

The answer I got was zero because I equated Normal force (of the wall on the box) at zero.
    Am I wrong? ): Does the weight of the box press against the wall as well?

Please help ):

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since the velocity is constant, what can you say about the net force on the box?

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    oh so is frictional force= 20 N? What about the normal force though? Sorry a bit confused

5. Sep 20, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the total friction force is 20 N.

Who cares? ;)

6. Sep 20, 2014 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can see the confusion about the normal force...

In most friction problems gravity provides a normal force. However in this problem something (unspecified) is causing the walls to press on the sides of the box creating a normal force and hence friction with them. Perhaps the box is made of rubber and is just a tight fit between the walls? Whatever the cause you don't need to care about it.

The problem isn't a problem about friction at all. It's about Newtons laws.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted