Find the force needed for a body on an inclined plane to be static?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Like Tony Stark
Messages
182
Reaction score
6
Homework Statement
The picture shows a body of mass ##m_1## lying on an inclined surface of mass ##m_2##. Suppose that all surfaces are frictionless. Determine the horizontal accelaration that sould be applied to ##m_2## to keep ##m_1## in equilibrium. Then, suppose that an acceleration twice bigger than the calculated previously is applied to ##m_2##, what's the acceleration of ##m_1## with respect to Earth (inertial system) and with respect to ##m_2##?
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
Here, I have two doubts
1) if the surfaces are frictionless, then there's no force being applied on the ##x' axis## of ##m_1## except from the weight, so it should be sliding, shouldn't it? So, there's no force that I could apply to ##m_2## to keep ##m_1## in equilibrium since any force that I apply on ##m_2## will manifest in the normal force of ##m_1## and this is on the ##y'## axis of ##m_1##.

2) And then I have some problems with "acceleration with respect to...". If I use Newton's equations and I solve for ##a##, that acceleration is with respect to ##m_2## or with respect to Earth?
 
Attachments
  • 20190927_131007.jpg
    20190927_131007.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 283
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Here, I have two doubts
1) if the surfaces are frictionless, then there's no force being applied on the ##x' axis## of ##m_1## except from the weight, so it should be sliding, shouldn't it? So, there's no force that I could apply to ##m_2## to keep ##m_1## in equilibrium since any force that I apply on ##m_2## will manifest in the normal force of ##m_1## and this is on the ##y'## axis of ##m_1##.

Your doubts shouldn't stop you doing the calculations.

Like Tony Stark said:
2) And then I have some problems with "acceleration with respect to...". If I use Newton's equations and I solve for ##a##, that acceleration is with respect to ##m_2## or with respect to Earth?

Newton's laws apply in an inertial reference frame.
 
Last edited: